Chapter Twenty-Five

We had been riding Appa a little ways until we reached a village.  The ride had been a quiet one; just the rush of the wind in our ears.  We landed on the hilly countryside outside the outskirts of town and all hopped out of the saddle.

            “Jay,” Macco began, and I already knew what was coming next, “I think you should stay here.”

            Part of his reasoning was clear to me but I wanted to see what else I could get out of him.  “Why?  We’re just going in to get some supplies.  And it’s not like someone can just come up and steal Appa.  He’d put up a good fight,” I said fondly, petting his muzzle.

            “Um, I don’t know, Jalia, it’s just, uh…I have a bad feeling about this town.”

            “Then should we move on?”

            “No, no!  Ah, it’s okay.  We really need the supplies and, er, who knows when the next town will come up?”

            “Oh, Macco, you’re such a bad liar.”  Panic rose in his eyes as a shocked expression grew on his face.

            “I…what?”

            “I know you just want to use Jaacob’s Fire Nation status help you get some deals and in order to do that he needs to be untied and you don’t think I approve.”

            “Uh…yeah, I guess.”

            I smiled at him, “It’s okay.  I don’t mind that much, actually.  It wouldn’t hurt to save a few coins for when we need them later on.  Just be careful,” I eyed Jaacob.  “I still don’t trust him.”

            “It’s okay,” Macco grinned back, not trying to mask his triumphant look.  “I won’t take my eyes off of him.”  Macco untied Jaacob, grabbed the sack of coins and hid a dagger in his belt.  He saw me looking at him as he did it.  “For precautions.”

            Even so, I gave him a big hug.  He smiled at me, “We’ll be back in two or three hours.”

            Three hours was a long time for a food run, but I didn’t question it.  There had to be another reason for their visiting the village.

            And there was no way I was going to be sitting here for three hours while they went and had all the fun.

---

Sorry it's short!  I just felt that I needed to give you guys somthing because it's been so long!  More coming soon.