Chapter Six

The next morning, I woke up in a cacoon of silk. I wore a silk sleeping gown, wrapped in silk sheets, and dreaming as smooth as silk. You would never see this sort of luxury in the Souther Water Tribe.

Rubbing the sleep from my eyes, I walked down to the dining hall to find Macco already gorging himself, stuffing his face with various breakfast foods. I sat beside him and picked up some sort of heavenly smelling pastry and took a bite that melted in my mouth. There were perks to being the guests of the Fire Lord.

Speaking of which, the Lord himself and his wife entered just then, dressed in their own silk day garments. I looked down at herself--opps, forgot to change into real clothes. Quickly excusing myself, I dashed back to my room.

In my room was a fully equipted wardrobe with everything I could ever possible need, from party gowns, to nightwear, to training garb. But I just went straight for my own bag. I pulled out a blue tunic with a white sash; t was my mother's. Katara had given it to me when I was young, much too small to fit into the dress, much less the leggings that were with it. But I was pretty sure they would fit now, though I didn't want to try, yet. I wasn't ready to place herself inside my mother's signature look.

When I was little, my mother would do my hair with two loops in the front that lead to a bun. It was Katara's favorite hairstyle. After so many years, I found myself doing my hair up the same way by habit. Realizing, I pulled it all out and loosely braided my hair down to the side.

Finally, I walked back to the dining room to find Macco staring in awe at the majesties before him, the latter two deep in conversation. When they saw me reenter, the King and Queen stopped talking. My courgaeous partner looked up at hme with eyes begging for someone to save him from his shock. I couldn't help but roll my eyes.

“Ah, Jalia, you have returned,” the Lord of Supreme Hotness (and I'm not just talking about the flames bussiness) said.

I smiled. “Yeah, sorry about that.”

“That's quite alright.” He returned the smile. “Now that our city is open to more than just firebenders, I have conjured up a master or two for you and your companion to train with. You will be experts yourselves in no time.”

Macco and I grinned at each other. We were finally going to learn what we'd been waiting for our whole lives.

---

A servant led us out to a courtyard where a man and a woman stood waiting for us. The man was tall and clean-shaven. He had piercing brown eyes and tattoes up and down his exposed arms. The woman was long and lean with a black ponytail snaking down her back. She twirled a dagger in her hands, a devious smile on her face.

The servant presented the people to us, “This is Master Kioka,” she gestured to the woman, then the man “and Master Slovono.” Then, she spoke to the masters, “These are your new pupils, Jalia and Macco from the Southern Water Triibe.”

“Yeah, yeah, we know,” Kioka said, looking at her nails. “Can we just get started?” The servant bowed her head and walked away. Kioka seemed to have the waterbender build, so I began to walk over towards her but Solovono grabbed my arm and tugged me in the other direction. Quite roughly, I might add.

“Hey!” I cried out as he dragged me away from Macco and Kioka, Macco starting to drool as he stared at his stunning teacher. That poor boy would be so distracted he would probably end up hurt.

“Wait!” Macco said suddenly. “I can't fight a girl!”

“Afraid you'll get hurt, pretty boy?” Kioka cooed mockingly. In a flash she had her dagger at his throat. Macco gulped, eyes wide.