The Ghost in the Girls Bathroom

the ghost in the girls bathroom
•••••••••••••

"Lucas!"

"uugghhhhh," I replied.

"Five more minutes and all the studying you did last night'll be for nothing!"

My eyes shot open and I sat up so fast that I couldn't see anything. Once I recovered from almost passing out, I looked at the clock on my bedside table and bolted to my closet when I realized school started in fifteen minutes.

After putting on the first pair of pants I saw and throwing on a hoodie with not enough time or care to put anything on under it, I sped down my hallway with one sock on and made it a quarter of the way down the stairs before gravity helped me with the rest of the journey.

"Fuck!"

"LUCAS FRIAR IF YOU CURSE UNDER MY ROOF ONE MORE TIME-"

"Yes mom you'll lock me in the shed where I can curse all I want. Sorry for falling down the stairs love you bye!" I yelled back throwing on my shoes at the door -still with only one sock on- and ran down the stairs of the complex, then the stairs of the subway, getting on the purple line just as the doors were closing.

Nearly falling over as the train stopped at the next street, I took the last seat available as a couple got off. But just as I sat down and we were about to pull away, a woman in a suit and uncomfortable looking high heels ran towards the doors, and 'being the kind of son my mother raised me to be' I stuck my arm in the door and offered her my seat.

I just have to be selfless. It was my selflessness that got me kicked out of my old school. But it was also my selflessness that saved my mom's life, so I decided to keep that trait.

Hastily shoving my backpack in my locker with about 30 seconds to the first bell, Farkle ran by.

"Hey," he said out of breath. "you seen.... You seen maya?" he asked between pants.

I was still really confused about what was going on between them, and despite how curious I was, I decided that if they didn't want it to be my business, I would stay out of it.

"Dude, I just got here. And why do you always care all of a sudden?"

Our conversation was cut short when a teachers assistant squaked us,
"Both of you! Get to class before you get a detention!"

Farkle looked at me before walking into his homeroom, and I walked into mine. I got in the door the second the bell rang and nearly fell asleep at a desk when we were told to "get out and get to class".

Walking down the hallway I saw Maya go into the bathroom and was about to text Farkle, when I felt myself be thrown into the wall by the current of burley football players. Why? Because my day was already going bad, might as well make it worse, right? I dropped my binder, watching it break as it hit the floor. I stared at the stuff scattered all over the hall and sighed. Never had I related to a pile of papers more than I had right then.

That time, I didn't make it in time for the bell. I didn't even bother rushing to pick up my stuff; I was already late, what difference would it make? Besides, I was liked by my teachers and with a valid excuse, I could probably get by with a warning.

But as I grabbed my pen that had somehow traveled all the way down the small corridor leading to the planetarium and bathrooms that were probably cleaned as much as they were used, I heard something coming from the girls room.

Thinking that this giant school even had a fucking Moaning Murtle, I remember that it was Maya who I had seen go in there, and I guess never come out.