Chapter 9

Ambrew's POV

I woke up from some sort of trance, my mind was blurry. My breathe was heavy, knees weak, palms were sweaty. Why was I so... drained? Looking around, I saw something I didn't exactly expect to see. Are those... bodies? Why are they just laying there, are they okay? Who are those three guys around them? Are Finn and Ian okay? What's going on? So many questions filled my head, so I stood up slowly, preparing myself to get a closer look, when I heard a groan next to me. Looking down, I saw it was Crainer. He was just waking up. I glanced around, and saw that Lancey and Ava were too. 

"Crainer, are you okay?" I asked, concerned. My voice caught me off guard. I sounded weak. 

"Yah man. You?" He responded, sounding just as weak as I did. 

"Good. I'm gonna go check on the others. You just rest, okay?" I was tired too, but someone had to tough it out, so it may as well be me. 

He responded with a hum and collapsed onto the ground. I forced myself up and looked towards the others. Ava wasn't there anymore. Instead, she was up, alert, and walking towards me. I approached her as well. As my vision improved enough to see faces clearly, I noted the aura of anger she presented. 

"What the hell is going on?!" She snapped. 

"I know just as much as you do." I tried to reassure her. "C'mon, lets go check on Lancey." She complied without much of a fight. 

Even though the curiosity about the bodies and the men was burning, co-workers always comes before curiosity for me. 

When we got to him, Lancey was just laying there, snoozing away. I knelt down beside him and tried to shake him awake. "Lance, you okay?" I asked, Ava glaring at us from behind me. 

"Mmmm... 5 more... minutes, Mom..." He mumbled, rolling away and dismissing us with a wave of his hand. For a second I thought I heard Ava giggle a little bit. That lazy hypocrite. I thought, remembering how he'd woken me up this morning. 

"Well, looks like he's doing just fine." Ava spoke, clapping once and keeping her hands together. "Can we go now?"

"'Kay." I nodded, wanting to find out what was really going on for myself. Together, we slowly approached the men, who were talking among themselves in a hushed tone. They looked like wizards to me, but that's just an assumption, going by their cloaks. Soon we were close enough to not only see the bodies clearly, but to recognize them as well. I froze, and Ava soon stopped as well. They were Finn and Ian, both covered in blood, and both looked... dead? They had to be, anyone could tell, even just at a glace, but somehow... 

"Hey, did you know this guy?" One of the men spoke. "I'm Seto by the way. And you are?"

Neither of us spoke for a while. These weren't only the bodies of friends we were looking at, they were mutated, dismembered, and.. the blood was everywhere. Eventually though- 

"Ava, and that's Ambrew. We both knew Finn, the blonde one, but he was once close friends with the one without his arms." Her voice sounded so calm, but there was definitely something broken behind her words. I've been around her long enough to know when she's sad. But still, did she have to describe Ian like that? This was all too much to take in. Ian was part double angel? Finn was part dragon? And now they're both dead? I just... why? 

"Well, good news for you, then." One of the other wizards, the gold one, spoke up, pulling me out of my mind state. He was examining Ian's body. "Somehow, he's not dead." 

"Wow-wow-wow-wow what?" The purple wizard, Seto, ran over to him. The wizard moved out of his friends way, and the other began to inspect it. 

"Oh my god, Brice, you're right. This is amazing!" Seto exclaimed, giving the other a peck on the cheek. "You're a genius!"