Chapter 13

Ambrew's POV

I held Ava tightly in my arms as she wept, when suddenly a distant thud could be heard, followed by screams and gunfire, causing her to snap up. The girl jumped and prepared to fight. 

What was that? Could it be... no. No way. I shook the possibility of Derp's escape from my mind. Impossible. Seto said he was gone. Wait, no, he said Derp was probably gone, and that was only an assumption. Still, there's no way...

The noises increased in volume as it's creator seemed to come towards us. The screams and shrieks of death sounded like they were coming from roughly several floors away. I looked Ava in the eye, and she nodded. We quickly got into battle formation, getting ourselves ready for anything. Expecting the unexpected. 

"I think it's headed for the roof." I told Ava my thoughts, and it made sense. Why else would it be coming towards us. The only problem is, how would it know how to get there? How strong is the thing charging towards us? I heard a beeping in my right ear, a message from Captain Arcavious, and by the look of it, Ava had one too. We listened to it carefully. 

'Hello there recruits. You probably have already heard, but if not, I'm telling you now. There is a freshly captured corrupted Angel on the loose here, and it's trying to escape. You know what would happen if it does, right? Mass death, that's what. Now, we may have already suffered, what, two dozen casualties already?' 

What?! That many deaths, really?! I was supposed to have a lunch party with the guys next weekend, but if there's been that many deaths then... wait. Oh god. Did he say corrupted Angel? I guess it is Ian after all. 

"Death." Ava muttered behind me. "Why so much of it?" She looked up to me with her question. Her voice sounded strained in the last few words, as if she were about to break even further. 

"Hey, Ava, it's gonna be okay. Everything is going to be just fine." I smiled at her, and it seemed to cheer her up, but we were brought back to reality when we heard the Commander laugh over the group message. 

'Now, I understand that may seem like a lot, but that's just because it is.' He continued to laugh, seemingly into the faces of our diseased comrades, our friends. 'Right, the point of this message is to tell you this: If you are to fight it, you must not hold back. You have to kill it on sight, if at all possible. It is smart, so don't underestimate it. It is an Angel, after all. 

Kill Ian? No way, I don't want him to get hurt again. Especially not after seeing his family. He seemed so happy with his new life. 

We could hear more gunshots and screams, two maybe three floors below us.

'Oh, and one more thing. It seems to have a notable weakness. Apparently it returns to human form once it sees it's own reflection, but it also tends to smash glass with the rest of it's abilities, so good luck with that. Have fun!' 

The death count must have doubled by now. We've heard enough screams stop to estimate at roughly 25 casualties, over half of our 48 member squad, all killed by soldier #49. Ava unexpectedly latched onto my left arm, making me freeze and listen. Nothing. Had he been stopped? Or maybe...

"He's right below us." Ava whispered into my ear with impeccable timing, as almost immediately after the floor burst open roughly six feet away, a horrifying form of my old friend climbing through. We both froze in horror only now seeing Derp's truest form. 

His wings were a slightly transparent shade of blood red with black misty streaks seeping out from between the torn feathers, stretching from out of his back. They seemed rather crammed inside a closed building. I didn't want to imagine how far he could soar through the sky, maybe starting his massacre in a small town, then slowly work his way up to large cities. His eyes were probably the most terrifying of all with the optic nerve where the pupil should be, completely bloodshot and weeping a scarlet liquid that was most definitely not tears. His fingers were claws, teeth were fangs, and you could see gunshot wounds that didn't phase him through the deep layers of scarlet. He was a monster, and quite the terrifying one at that.