Chapter 1: Lilian

May thirteenth, 2050. It's today's date. It is just like any other day in the vast expanse of history, but for me it is special. Today is my twelfth birthday, and I can't help thinking that I am one year off from the teen years. I look forward to them, as being a teen brings a new sense of freedom. Still, I find myself longing for the days of old, those carefree days when I was an innocent child who knew nothing of war and destruction.

I envy Jason sometimes. My brother can be so naive, so oblivious. There's a war going on? Jason always finds an optimistic way to look at the situation. Half of Europe is in ruins? Oh well, my brother says, at least all of us are okay.

Poor Jason. He tries so hard to keep hoping, even when there isn't anything to hope for. I wish I had that sort of personality, but I have a tendency to think on completely opposite terms. Today being the thirteenth, I am convinced (based on the superstitions surrounding the number) that something will go horribly wrong. I've been thinking this way since I was eight, but nothing ever happens. However, I have a truly dreadful feeling about today.

I am right to worry.

"Lili! Lilian! Lilian Grace Messer, get out of bed right now!" I am dragged from my thoughts by Jason, my least favorite and only sibling. At nine years of age, the kid has learned more ways to annoy me than I thought were imaginable. Glancing at my clock, I instantly feel on edge. Where the comforting green numbers are normally displayed, the screen of my digital clock is completely dark and motionless.

"Lili!" Jason calls again. Sitting up, I realize that the holographic projections are no longer being displayed on my ceiling. For the first time in my life, or as much of it as I can remember, I did not wake up to a projection of the Solar System. There is only one logical explanation for why this has happened. The electricity is out.

"Jason, I'm coming." I call to my brother, wondering where in blazes our parents have gone.

Glancing through my curtains, I realize that dawn is just breaking over the horizon. Our parents should still be in bed.

But they aren't.

After leaving my own room, I take a look into my parents' room. Mom and Dad are nowhere to be found.

Continuing my investigation, I jog downstairs to find Jason pacing the length of the kitchen. "Where's the radio, Lili? Where are Mom and Dad? What's going on?" He demands, pelting me with questions as soon as he notices me. I focus on the one question I can answer. "I'll get the radio. Stay here."

Jason nods, and I venture back upstairs. I grab the battery-powered radio that has taken up residence under our parents' bed, then proceed back down to the kitchen. Most people in our day and age think that radios are old-fashioned and useless. Mom, a child of the 2010s, insists that one can come in handy in the case of emergency. I'm not willing to use the E word to describe this situation yet, but I am willing to admit that we need Mom's radio.

"I'm hungry." Jason complains, still pacing. If the apocalypse did come, I don't think this kid would last a day. "Sit down, Jason. You're making me nervous." I snap, sitting at the table and fiddling with the radio. Turning it on, I attempt to find a station that will explain what's going on in our area.

"Lili, I have school today." Jason persists, finally taking a seat. "No, you don't. I'm not letting you go." I say, trying and failing to find a radio station that is relatively free of static. I swear under my breath. What a birthday this is turning out to be.

Jason gets up again, walking purposefully to the refrigerator. "Lili?" I sigh, turning to face him. My snarky comment dies on my tongue as I see the note in Jason's hand. "Hand me that." I command. "Why should I?" He grins. I roll my eyes. "Seriously, Jason. It's probably important. Give it to me."

"Fine. You aren't going to like what it says, though. It's kind of creepy." My brother relents, handing over the note. It's from Mom, and the message it conveys sends a chill down my spine.

The Inhumanes have reached Mathers Hill. Your father and I went into work as soon as we got word. Lili, make sure that Jason does not leave for school today, and keep an eye on him at all times. This city is becoming a dangerous place, and you two need to be careful. If I am not home by this evening, and you have not gotten word from your father, bike to the airport and take the first flight to London. You will be safe there, as we have colleagues in London who will insure that you do not meet any harm. I'm sure my associates and I can handle this situation, and you will likely have no need to worry. Try to enjoy your birthday, Lili, and try not to worry. I'm sure we will be able to take care of this.

I stare at the note for a moment longer, until Jason breaks the silence. "Well... Happy birthday." He says quietly, "What are we going to do? Are you scared?"

I look to my brother, noticing his abnormally apprehensive expression. "No, I'm not afraid. Mom told us not to worry, she and her coworkers are going to take care of everything. I'm sure the electricity will be back on in an hour or two. There's nothing to be afraid of." I declare, voicing more confidence than I feel.

"You're right, Lili." Jason answers, "You're almost always right."

I roll my eyes.

"Well, if I'm not going to school, can I go back to bed? And have something to eat?"

Sighing, I scrounge around in the cabinets until I find several granola bars. It's not the world's finest breakfast, but it will certainly do.

Jason and I eat in silence, and I wonder what my brother is thinking. He probably believes me, believes that our little city will be back to normal soon and our parents will be coming home. I wish I could believe it, too. I wonder if our lives will ever be normal again, if we will ever go back to the routines we had before this war started. I hope it is possible, and I want to believe it is. I just can't bring myself to believe, though. I never believe in logical fallacies.