Chapter 4: Jason

As Lili and I go our separate ways, I can't help wondering if I'll see her again. After all, if that first Inhumane really was Mom, none of us are safe. If Mom can be bitten, what's protecting me or Lili?

I suppose up to this point we've just been lucky. All of us have been, really. It was only a matter of time before the undead reached Mathers Hill, only a matter of time before Lili and I, like millions of other kids out there, lost someone close to us. It's a fact of life in our world; people change every day, and the army of Inhumanes continues to grow and spread like a disease.

I continue to pedal, relieved at the lack of vehicles on the main roads today.

Turning onto the next street, I take the opportunity to look over my shoulder. Only one of the original creatures is behind me, and with mounting dread I realize the others must have gone after Lili.

I can't concentrate on that at the present. This one will be difficult enough to lose.

I attempt to increase my speed despite the fact that my lungs are soon complaining.

I haven't biked this fast in as long as I can remember, but the adrenaline is kicking in and, despite the fact that I'm gasping for air within minutes, I know there's no way I'll slow down. Oak Street, First Avenue, Kendall Drive, all blur past me as I mentally map out the turns. Two more streets, I tell myself, two more streets until I reach our meeting place. Miller Street, the location of the airport and the next place I'll see Lili. She'll probably beat me there, at least I hope she does.

All of a sudden, I'm flying off my bike. The first thing I realize is that I took the turn too soon, wiping out on the curb. The second thing I recognize is that this is definitely not good, and there's an Inhumane twenty yards behind me.

Oh boy.

I stumble to my feet and run, not wishing to spare the time it would take to pick up my bike. Sprinting down the street, I race for the gas station at the end of the road, an image of the unfortunate Milena flashing through my mind.

No way, I'm not going to be that kid.

I'm only nine and a quarter, I haven't really lived yet and I'll be darned if this mutant steals my future. I'm about ten feet from the convenient store when it finally makes its move. It pounces, and I sidestep it in the nick of time.

Walking with my back to the store, I watch the Inhumane carefully. This one is clearly more experienced than the ones from my vision. Judging by the lesions and wounds covering the face, my knowledge from the news tells me it probably changed three or four days ago, making it nearly fully mutated.

Fully changed or not, I'm not ready to be bitten or killed by it.

Backing away swiftly, I move for the door of the gas station, reaching it just as The creature springs forward. Throwing myself against the door, I push it open. The Inhumane falls through the door behind me, and I run for the shelves of junk food as it moves to get to its feet. As morbid as it may be, I'm thankful at this moment to see the convenient store cashier sitting at the register. Maybe she'll serve as a distraction.

Reaching an aisle filled with bags of potato chips, I sprint halfway down it before looking back. The Inhumane has disregarded me, it seems, and is moving in the direction of the cash register. They go for the obvious ones, the news broadcasters say. Why waste time looking for a new friend or the next meal when a good candidate is right in front of you?

I have to admit, that logic is almost better than Lili's.

The cashier screams, and I run. Racing back up the aisle, I pull open the door and turn for the street without looking back.