Chapter 3: Dimitri/Lilian

Dimitri

I frown at the small computer in front of me, thankful that our generator somehow keeps it, along with the electricity, on. I'm pretty sure the thing is solar powered, but I don't have the time to investigate what keeps it going.

When you work in a place like this, you don't have the time for irrelevant curiosities.

We don't have a name, at least not one that I know of. People refer to us as the Unspeakables, as we can't speak of our occupation. If we were to inform one of the masses, that person would have to be dispatched quickly. It's a fact that all members are aware of.

Our primary mission is to protect the general public from the Inhumanes and the devastation of the war. If you ask me, we're failing at both those tasks. Despite popular belief, some catastrophes can't be avoided or delayed.

While the radiation of nuclear bombs created the Inhumanes, no one knows what caused the mutation of the Superiors' DNA.

The first of them was discovered nearly sixteen years ago. This particular child had the strange gift of being able to read the minds of his family. He made the mistake of showing off in front of a government official, and found himself holding a steady job in a science lab.

He was an American, I think, which would make perfect sense.

Those Americans can be so arrogant; it's no surprise they were one of the first to join this disaster of a war. I guess I don't have much room to talk, though, since my home country essentially started this whole mess.

Americans may be arrogant, but I've known many Russians to be much worse.

Since that first child was discovered, hundreds of others have come into existence. Our organization, in fact, is comprised mainly of Superiors.

The London branch is no exception, though it's proving difficult for us to protect anyone from the looming dangers of the world.

Rumor has it that we have a strange habit of attracting our own kind; it's widely believed that Superiors can sense other Superiors within a certain distance of themselves. I'm not quite sure whether I trust the theory, as I've never come across the evidence to support it.

"Dimitri!"

I flinch, having not expected Katerina to speak. She has somehow managed to sneak up on me, an incredible feat in itself, and is now standing over my swivel chair. I turn to look at her, noticing her annoyance right away.

"What? Can't you see I'm busy?"

"I'm sure you are." The ten-year-old scowls, her French accent easily detectable, "I can't reach anyone in midwestern America. Any idea why that is?"

"Katerina, you realize it's later over here."

"After a year and a half of being in London you would think that would be common knowledge for all of us."

"Who else have you tried?"

"Texas, Maine, Virginia ... I got an answer from all of them. They say the same, though. They cannot reach the one's in Missouri or Indiana. I know something is going on when I can't get an answer from the Messers."

I curse under my breath, looking around at the desks and computers that surround us in the high tech office space.

"Wait, where's Rose?"