Chapter 20

"I took my parents out here last weekend, we split a cheese board as an app. It's amazing if you're interested in getting it.." He said shyly peering up from his menu to looking up to me. 

"I live for cheese boards, let's do it." I giggled back, a smile cheered his face. The server came over and I ordered a mojito while Ryan ordered an IPA, "actually, I'll have what he's having and we'll have the cheese board." 

"You're not a wine girl?" Ryan teased as she returned with our IPAs. 

"Honestly no. I mean I'll drink anything when it comes down to it, but I love IPA." I laughed as I let the cold but fresh beer down my throat. 

"So how do you like working for James?"

"Uh it's good! He's a great boss actually. Yeah, he really cares about all his employees. He's incredibly busy with tons of clients and stuff, but I've been really lucky to work under him." He said as he sliced into some smoked cheddar. 

"Under him?" I asked sipping on my water glass, clearing my throat.

"Yes, I do most of his paperwork for his cases and go to court with him." His face blushed red. He knew. 

"Oh." I said addressing the tension that was created. "So you know?" His face blushed even more. 

"Don't say anything, we don't have to talk about it." The awkwardness seeped in. 

"No, please. Obviously, you must know everything if you do the paperwork. I was young, dumb and wanted an out of my bad home life. It wasn't a bad relationship for about two and half years. It was like we were dating, like a normal young adult relationship but we were married.." I let out a short laugh that he didn't reciprocate. "Then we both grew up and grew out of it. I'm not damaged, or a divorcée... He's now working for an oil company or something." We let the silence rest for a moment. I watched him shift in his seat trying to find words. 

"So, you're about to graduate from BC?" The silence finally lifted. 

"Yes! Well, from nursing school. I did an extra year so I could graduate with my MSN, so I could be a nurse practitioner," He let out  a puzzled face, "masters in science of nursing, it's just the next step up from being a nurse practitioner, you can see patients, diagnose and the pay's better." The conversation finally flowed like it normally should on a first date, a little awkward. He was charming, a good story telling, could banter with waiters and he grabbed the bill before my hand I could reach it. The night continued like almost any normal first date night should. We then made our way to one of his favorite bars and we danced and sipped on vodka cranberries like teenagers for the rest of the night. 

"I know these are such a girlie drink, but I love them. Don't tell James! He's such a whiskey man," He claimed as we called it a night walking out. I hadn't actually thought of James since Ryan brought him up earlier. I couldn't help but wonder what he might be doing as our car pulled up.