Chapter 11

2 weeks Later:

As I let the warm early May breeze drift through my screen windows, I couldn't help but notice Mr. Black outside with his kids, it looked like they were going away for the weekend. He was in a green polo shirt, khaki pants and I think sperry's. His usually slick and tamed hair still had the bedhead look while his glasses were crooked as he tried to fit another suitcase in the back of their car. It was hard ever to spot any action in that house, Mrs. Black was constantly in athletic clothing as she toted around the kids but they came and went on a set schedule which I always seemed to miss. I had yet to meet Mrs. Black but she was a little chubby, her brown hair always up in a bun and had a very plain face. It was hard to imagine Mr. Black was attracted to such a simple woman.

I last spoke to Mr. Black earlier this week, the final paperwork came in from my divorce. Leo moved to Arizona with his brother and he sold the apartment leaving me with a chunk of cash to pay Mr. Black and to live off of. After Mr. Black noticed my jaw, our relationship became strictly professional, we didn't laugh, make jokes, or listen to music. Emma was just as busy as I was with trying to graduate and study for our boards but she somehow managed to set me up on a date. Jackson Dauter and I had our 7th date planned for tonight at my house. I would be cooking dinner and entertaining him, trying to decide how far it should go tonight. Jackson Dauter was a Boston College alumni in his first year of med school. There was nothing not to like about him. He's from a good family, he's smart, nice, handsome, and has a life planned. His life was already like a publish novel and mine was crumpled manuscripts in a waste bin.

I desperately wanted to catch a glimpse of Mrs. Black. Mr. Black and what I've seen of her just don't seem to match, he wears $4000 tailored suits and she wore Nike work out gear and her brown hair always was up and barely any make up. I could easily picture him with a working woman, who dressed just as impeccably as he did and had some sort of sex appeal to her.

As I sat on the loveseat curled up in a way I could easily look out the window behind me to watch the Blacks, I almost forgot they were there as I tired to continue picturing Mrs. Black. My attention was caught when I heard a shrill of laughter as Mr. Black was leaning into the car probably buckling the kids. I must have had just missed the Mrs. when I was day dreaming. As Mr. Black shut the car door he seemed to find a way to look up right at me. He stared for a moment then smiled and waved. I tried my best to make my snooping look casual but it couldn't have been more obvious. Just a wave. That's all what we were now, neighbors who waved...