chapter 7

“Mr. Black I’m not sure how I could ever thank you,” I began.

            “Don’t,” he said stopping my happy tears, “I told you I would take care of you. I’d figured six months would give you time to find a new apartment, and roommate. You’re so young, I don’t know what I would have done at your age,” He responded quietly keeping his hands tucked into his black coat, “It’s cold in here..” He said quietly filling the silence we created.

“You live on Beacon Street January said?” I asked trying to make small talk.

 “Yeah, come here,” he smiled lightly pulling at my arm up to one of the windows. As we looked out he said, “You see that brownstone with the pink bike chained up front and triangle flags in the window to the left?” He asked. We looked like little kids squeezed into the window looking at fresh snowfall. Our shoulders touched as he leaned closer in pointing out his home, “that’s me.” He smiled. “I’m practically directly across the street, it’s not every day I let a client move in across the street from me,” He laughed.

            “Is it every day you pretend you’re married to your clients?

“Hey it worked well, you’re in a safe neighborhood for the cheapest rent I’ve ever heard of, if it wasn’t socially frowned upon I would pretend to be married for as long as possible because damn Beacon street for $250 a month??” We laughed but before I could let him hear my cackle to its fullest, she knocked,

“Can I come in?” She said as she let herself. “You wouldn’t believe the things I catch couples doing in the five minutes I leave to get the lease..” Our awkward laughs filled the room as she walked in carrying all the papers. “So I’ll leave these with you, any questions please don’t hesitate to come downstairs. But first!” She waved what was tucked under her arm before, a Polaroid camera. “I always take a picture of my couples in their apartment,” She smiled adjusting it.

“Oh no no,” We both politely rejected.

“Come on Mrs. Black do it for me!” I looked at Mr. Black and shrugged, “Oh come on now, look like a happy couple! So shy! James pick up your future bride, I’m determined to get a good photo!” Mr. Black took me into his arms and before I knew it he swooped me up into his arms lifting me bridal style. I burst into laughter as he grabbed my waist, my ticklish spot. We both smiled as we broke into laughter and I tossed my head back feeling what it felt like to be happy. As the flash went off I felt my hair dangle and my stomach hurt from the laughter. Mr. Black’s hands were warm as they cupped my lower back and waist. I never wanted to touch the floor again, and in that moment he wasn’t Mr. Black, he was a source of laughter and ease.

“Perfect!” January said as she shook out the Polaroid photo and she grabbed a tack and stuck it on the wall in between the windows. “Your first photo as a couple in your new apartment. I love it.” January excused herself again, and left us with the paperwork. I stared at the photo as Mr. Black flipped through it. I haven’t seen a smile like that in a while.

“Well I told January before we came here, that you didn’t want any of my name on the paperwork, so once were done with this divorce we will only be neighbors,” he laughed, but it wasn’t like his laugh before, it was a filling a void laugh that I could only reply with by using a half fake smile. Like he didn't want this idea of us being married to end.