May's Project

May's final project was to do a presentation on her family. I guess it was pretty good because her teacher what're her to do it in front of the whole school and parents. So now all of us, Sav and I, Xavier and two month old Stevie, the band, and Karlie all sit in the theatre chairs and wait for her presentation. May made sure that everyone was here.

The principal comes out of the curtain.

"Ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, staff and parents, welcome to our end of the year assembly! Now to start everything off, Ms Weathers has a representative from her fourth grade class that's going to share her presentation with us. Everyone please welcome May Savage!" She says and we all clap, Phil gets the video camera ready.

My daughter steps onto the stage and I smile.

"Bonjour mon nom est May et je suis de Montréal, Québec, Canada. I just said 'hello my name is May and I'm from Montreal, Quebec, Canada. I guess you could already assume from the way I talk that I'm not from around here. My mom is half French Canadian and half British. My dad is from here in England. See my mom really doesn't have much family, her parents died in a car crash and she has a cousin and her grandparents. But my family isn't about blood, not even close. My mom has a little big brother, his name is Rick Allen. She is older than him but he says she's his little sister. They met because my uncle Rick got his head stuck in a fence. He's the drummer for my daddy's band and has only one arm." Rick lights up. "My mom met my daddy because she got a job in a recording studio that the band was playing at. My daddy's name is Rick Savage but everyone calls him Sav, he's the bass player. I have some pretty interesting uncles, I have my uncle Joe, he's a singer. I've got my uncle Phil, he plays guitar. And I have my uncle Steve, he plays guitar as well. They're Def by God Leppard! As my uncle Phil calls them. There's also my mom's crazy cousin Karlie, I call her Aunt Karlie." Karlie laughs and I smile. "I was born in Montreal like I said earlier because my mommy and daddy where on a break. I moved to England after my uncle Rick had a pretty serious car accident and mommy came back to see him. I met my dad and every since we've been a big happy family. I have two younger siblings Xavier who is almost five and Stephanie who's two months old, we named her after my uncle Steve. Uncle Steve died earlier this year and everyone was completely heartbroken. Everyone was crying and sad. My family is the most wonderful family people I could've asked for, we fight sometimes but that's okay. We love each other and that's all that matters. Family isn't always blood, it's about who loves you more than living itself." May smiles. "Thank you!"

May runs up to us after the assembly and Sav picks her up. I kiss her cheek and so does Sav.

"May Flower that was wonderful!" I say and she smiles.

"So you guys really liked it?" May asks and Phil smiled.

"We loved it!" He says. "Uncle Steve loved it to, baby. I promise!"

"You really think so?" She asks and he nods.

"I know so." Phil tells her.

I never in a million years thought I'd have a family like this after losing both my parents. I have the best husband. Perfect children. Perfect brothers. An amazing cousin. And an angel in Heaven that will always be watching over us.

Rest in Peace, Stevie. We'll meet again.

The End!