To Love A Warbler

Jeff's POV

"TAKE COVER!!!!" Jackson screamed. I hit the grass before the paintballs could stain my shirt. It was Saturday, and for once we didn't have Warbler practice. Blaine had a date with Kurt and he couldn't make it, and he sang most of the songs, so today was a free day for us.

"TAKE THAT YOU-Oh holy crap, look, it's a moving van!" I said. I'd heard that the guidance counselor across the street was letting her niece move in, and today must've been moving day for the girl.

"Let's shoot it!" Jackson knew no boundries.

"Dude, no! It's the new girl! Don't wanna make a bad impression," I coached.

"Aw, Jeff, you're no fun anymore! Just one little paintball apiece! Wouldn't do too much damage," he grumbled.

"No!" I shook my head and perched behind the bush in the front of the lawn. It was a relatively small street, and I could see it all from my bush. There were maybe ten houses on the street, five on each side, and the dead end ended with a creek. The street leading into it was quiet. Jackson, Christian and I were the only kids on the street, and Christian had just gone to college. He was our next door neighbor. All in all, it was a small little community where everyone knew everyone. A new girl would certainly shake things up a bit, and I heard she was a junior in high school, like me. I hoped to catch a glimpse of her-hopefully, she was cute and the feeling was mutual, then we'd go to college together and be happy.

"Jeff. Why are we hiding?" Jackson whispered.

"So we can get a glimpse of the new girl before she gets a glimpse of us!"

"Why are we whispering if she's across the street?"

"I should be asking you that. You started it," I whispered back. "Wait, stop moving! Here she comes!"

The passenger side door opened, and a sandal with a high wedge heel hit the pavement, followed by its match and the longest pair of legs I'd ever seen. Shortie shorts almost disappeared underneath a rust-red V-neck shirt. Her hair was pulled into a high ponytail and her bangs were close to covering her eyes they were so long. Her hair was chocolate brown and her skin was pale but there was a little bit of a tan there. Her toenails looked bright silver and her fingernails looked to be a dark blue, like the Dalton blazer. She stood on the front lawn and looked around the street. A redheaded woman came out, and the girl turned and started talking to her. The woman went inside, and the girl was left alone again. She stood there, staring up at the sky, not knowing I was staring at her.

She was beautiful.

"Let's shoot her with a paintball!"

"Jackson!" I groaned. "Look at her! She's too pretty to shoot with a paintball!!"

Jackson smiled evily. "Let's change that." He stood up, aimed and shot.

"DUCK!" I screamed.

The girl looked startled, but hit the ground in record time. She stayed clean, but the window behind her cracked, stained red like blood.

"KIRSTEN! What was-" but the rest of Ms. Pillsbury's sentence was lost because she'd stopped screaming and shouting.

"Oooohhhh, Jackson, you're gonna be in trouble," I said. "MOM!" I turned and opened the door. "MOM! JACKSON CRACKED MS. PILLSBURY'S WINDOW WITH A PAINT BALL!!!"

"Oh dear," my mom said. "JACKSON!"

Jackson turned around guiltily. I looked past him at the new girl. She was looking at me with a curious expression. I shrugged at her.

"Sorry," I mouthed. She smiled.

She had the cutest smile.

"It's okay," she mouthed back. Then she motioned with her hand for me to come over there.