To Love A Warbler-Chapter 11

Nick's POV

The first thing I was supposed to think when the new girl walked in the room? HOTHOTHOTHOTHOTHOTHOT.

What I really thought? Oh, look, Jeff's got another girlfriend.

Don't get me wrong, Jeff IS my best friend. But as a friend, I know that he has...erm...bad luck with girls. Like the LAST one he was with-well, it did NOT end well. She'd been clingy, offensive, stupid-a whole lot of stupid-you get the point.

And she was tone deaf. I didn't like her.

But that isn't the point. The point is that she'd stolen his heart-then drowned it after stabbing it viciously millions of times and tearing it in half.

I couldn't let that happen again. THAT'S why I was flirting with her.

"Doubtful," Jeff murmured when I tried to explain this to him. He leaned against the door frame to my bathroom as I fixed my hair after the Warbler meeting. Six forty-five for a warning? Crazy. It was about seven now.

"No, I'm serious! She may be hot, but if Kirsten's ANYTHING like...her...well, you aren't allowed to date her."

"Kirsten's different," he protested.

I scoffed and combed my curls. "That's what you said last time. Jeez, I need a new comb," I said, tugging another comb tooth out of my thick hair.

"Christmas," Jeff replied offhandedly, staring out the window at nothing but the colors of September trees. "Wait till Christmas. Maybe by then I can get Kirsten under the mistletoe without seeming like an idiot. Maybe...get her a gift and not seem weird?"

"Look, Wes may be right," I countered. The senior had told the Warblers to let her settle in (and get used to the crazy of Dalton Academy) before actually flirting with her. (He'd looked at Jeff and I angrily when he said this.) Blaine was the only Warbler she could be bombarded by unless she said otherwise.

The bells rang and the stampede of boys in our dorm house went outside. I picked up Jeff and my's books and shoved his into his chest. He stumbled back and sighed. "Look, maybe you'll see her in class or something. See ya," I called, departing for class.

Jeff just moaned.

Jeff's POV

To this day, I still didn't understand the inner workings of Nick's mind. I've known him since we were three.

Carly was a mistake, I conceded, but Kirsten's different. I was on the way to French and wasn't even close to halfway there.

"Hi!"

"They're different!" I said to my new companion. I looked over and sighed. "Damn. Sorry, Kirsten."

She laughed. "Why is it that every time I see you, you give me the weirdest greetings on the face of the planet?" I sighed again as she continued. "What were you talking about, anyways?"

"Nothing," I said evasively.

She glared at me.

"Fine," I said, thinking fast. If I timed this just right... "I was...thinking...about..."

BRRRRRRIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIINNNNNNNNNNNNNG!!!!!!!!!!!!

"I'll tell you later!" I called, running to French.

She looked disappointed. "What class are you in?" she yelled.

"French!" I almost tripped running backwards to look at her.

She waved and headed in the opposite direction. "See you at lunch!"

I nodded.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------