Chapter 7: Before the Games

I woke up around 8AM the following morning. Still in my pajamas, I walked out to the main room and nobody was there. Was I supposed to be somewhere right now?

I decided since I had the place to myself, I would eat alone for breakfast for the first time in sooo long. The avoxes had breakfast out already and it was all warm and it smelled delicious. I filled myself up with as much food as I could because it is unpredictable how much food I'll find in the games. You never know; There could be just a pack of crackers for both Cato and me to share. I don't know. 

"Clove! Where have you been?" Silver asked me as soon as I finished. "Nevermind, you need to go get ready! It is nine o'clock and you need to be in the hovercraft by ten! Go get dressed!"

I scurried to my bedroom and found a pair of hiking boots, an orangey-maroon v-neck t-shirt, and a pair of hiker pants (at least that's what we call them in District 2). I changed into them as quickly as I could and I have to say, they were quite comfortable. 

When I walked out of my bedroom, Silver and Rendalia were talking. "Ah! Clove, Rendalia has to do your hair!" Silver said to me. I followed Rendalia and she quickly did my hair in a ponytail with my hair that was flowing out of it tied so my hair wouldn't stick to my neck if I started to sweat.

Holt walked me down to where I'd get picked up by the hovercraft. We stepped inside an elevator that would take us there. 

"Remember, you're a fast runner. Get to the knives as fast as you can. They should be in the mouth of the cornucopia. Grab as many packs as you can while running there as long as it doesn't slow you down. You don't want the other tributes that aren't your allies grabbing them. They'll just survive longer." Holt told me. I nodded my head. 

"I promise, I'll win this thing. I know I will." I told him.

The elevator stopped at the door to the hovercraft. Holt gave me a hug and then he whispered in my ear, "I'm so proud of you. I've never been more proud of someone in my entire life." He moved his face away. I looked him in the eyes and smiled. He leaned in to my ear one more time. "One more thing... Kill Cato." I was shocked Holt said that but I couldn't help but agree with him. Cato can't win. I nodded my head at Holt and then boarded the hovercraft. 

"Give me your arm," one of the peacekeepers said to me once I was seated. I lifted up my arm and she injected my tracker. The tracker would allow the Capitol to see where I am and where to aim the cameras. 

"They're in the air," a different peacekeeper said in his microphone. 

We landed on the roof of a building. Rendalia was there to greet me and the other head stylist greeted Cato. I followed Rendalia into a room that seemed like a walk-in coat closet. I noticed where  the tube was immediately and chills went down my spine. I wasn't nervous; I was just so close now and I couldn't wait. 

Rendalia dressed me in a maroon jacket. The fabric was a new invention from the Capitol. It keeps you cool when its hot out and it keeps you warm when its cold. Of course it's not fire resistant but it's still a luxury to have in the games. 

"Clove, I know you'll do well. You were made to win this. Good luck." Rendalia said hugging me. 

"Thank you," I said to her. 

"TEN SECONDS" a speaker announced. 

"I guess I'll see you when the games end," I said smiling at Rendalia. I walked over to the tube and stepped inside. It closed almost immediately and started to move upwards slowly like an elevator.