Chapter 13: Victory Interview with Caesar Flickerman

I walked onto the stage and immediately heard the crowd burst out cheering. I smiled and waved at them as I walked to my seat next to Caesar. 

When I got to where my seat was, I shook Caesar's hand and sat down. 

"Clove Kentwell! My, you look stunning!" Caesar complimented me. 

"Thank you, Caesar." I said. 

"So, how do you feel after winning the games?" he asked me. "Do you feel relieved, lucky, ..."

"I feel accomplished." I said confidently. "I'm glad that I got to experience being in the games because it's made me realize that life isn't always so easy and you don't really know how strong you are until you use your strength in real-life situations." I explained. 

"Well, not everyone learns from the games, Clove. Some victors are just glad they'll never have to do it again. But you, you clearly understand the true meaning of the games. You understand that the games take place each year to show the citizens of the Districts of Panem that the Capitol is in charge and that there is only one victor in the end of each war. In the case of the Hunger Games, you are this year's victor." Caesar said. "What is one thing you wish you could've changed that you did in the Hunger Games?"

"I don't think I would change a thing. I honestly believe that all things happen for a reason and that I made every choice and decision in the games with plenty of thought." I said. 

"Do you think you've been changed by experiencing the games?" Caesar asks me. I take a second to think about it. 

"I believe that the girl you saw in the games is different than the girl you see here today. I believe that when I was in the games, I was in survival mode. I knew that I needed to kill people in order to live so I did. The girl you see all dressed up in gold today is a girl with a big-heart and a girl that honestly values life and everyone in it." I say. 

"Are you saying that the games isn't a representation of who people really are? That they put out a survival-mode side to everyone participating in them?" he asks me. I probably shouldn't have said that. 

"I believe that I wasn't me in the games. Cato, on the other hand was Cato. Glimmer was Glimmer. Cassie, the girl from District 8, was Cassie. Teagan, the girl from District 9, was Teagan. Peeta, the boy from District 12, was not Peeta. I saw his pre-games interview and I knew he didn't want to kill anyone in the games. He eventually ended up being the one to kill Glimmer. If everyone was themselves in the games, the games would've been completely different. I might not be sitting here today if I acted as myself in the games. That's my view." I explain. I think I made my point better this time. 

"Well, Clove, we're glad that your are sitting here with us today and we're glad that you know who you truly are." Caesar said. "I'm extremely proud to present to you all, the Victor of the 74th Hunger Games, Clove Kentwell!" Caesar exclaimed to the crowd. 

Everyone cheered as I left the stage. I smiled and waved at them as I did when I walked onto the stage. I'm glad I got to honestly say how I feel and explain myself. I feel a whole lot better now.