Chapter 3: The Train

When me and Cato finished our goodbyes, we were escorted to the limousine that would take us to the train that would take us to the Capitol.

"So, Clove, are you excited?" Cato asked me sitting back in his seat.

"You don't even know." I say. "What about you, peacekeeper?"

"Ahhh, I knew I knew you from somewhere! You're the girl with the record for knife throwing!" he said. I nodded. "I'm thrilled that I get to share an arena and train with you." he says.

When we get to the train, we ignore the crowds of people and board immediately.

"Dinner will be served in about an hour. In the meantime, I'll show you to your rooms." the lady said and started walking towards the door to the next train car.

"Excuse me," Cato interrupted stopping her in her tracks. "Will you please tell us your name?" The Capitol lady turned around.

"Oh! I am so sorry!" she said with her Capitol accent. "My name is Silver Spectral! I've been serving the Capitol as an escort for three years now." she smiled. 

"Thank you," Cato said. "You may continue." Cato seemed to be acting like her boss. He seemed to think that he was the one in power on this train. I was starting to dislike him. Oh well, the less I like people, the easier it'll be for me to kill them in the games. 

Silver led us into the next train car. There were two rooms; one for me and one for Cato. "Each room has a queen-sized bed, a closet full of clothes, a flatscreen tv, a bathroom, and some other things you both might need these next three days." Silver said to us. "Cato, your room is the one on the right; Clove, yours is on the left. You two can hang out in there for a little while. In the meantime, I'll inform your mentor upon who you both are and help him get settled in."

I walked into my bedroom when Cato walked into his. Immediately, I checked around for any knives or weapons. It would be useful if I could train while I was waiting to get to the Capitol. 

After looking for about ten minutes, I found nothing. I should've brought a knife with me. Now that I think of it, it would've helped me with getting rid of Ferris at the reaping. Haha. 

I decided to check out the clothes the Capitol has left for me. I opened my closet and saw three sundresses, three pairs of jeggings (a new invention!), three fancy shirts, and a skirt. There were pajamas, shoes, and underwear in the bottom of the closet for me too. I closed my closet and sat on my bed. It was sooo comfortable. Much nicer than my bed in District 2. Immediately, I curled up into a ball and closed my eyes. I was debating whether or not to sleep and I decided not to. 

Suddenly, there was a knock on my door. "Come in," I said without asking who it was. It was Cato. 

"Nice bedroom," he said smiling at me. 

"Thanks. I bet yours is just like it." I say. He sits on my bed next to me and looks around. 

"I thought what you did to Ferris was pretty sweet. She deserved it. That tiny puke couldn't have ever won or even have been competition for me. I've been waiting for the right time to volunteer for the games my whole life. I think we should be allies. We'd be a killing machine." he said. I thought about it for a second. "We could take down the tributes district by district starting with twelve. Twelve never wins." If we were allies, that means I could eventually kill him in his sleep or when he wasn't looking. I could win. If he was helping me fight off the other tributes, I could win much more easily than I could on my own. 

"Sure, I'll be your ally. But under one condition." I say. He looks at me weirded out. "We work with District 1 until we've killed off half of the tributes. Then, after that, we kill both tributes from one. We also have to make sure that we make about three tributes that have no chance whatsoever think that they're safe with us and then we'll kill them after we've used them to kill other tributes. Deal?"