Chapter 9 - Cathy's news.

In November, about two months after Mary started tutoring me and living with us, and a new person moved into Ralph Lauren, Cathy called a meeting.

It was in the middle of dance class, (I was really good at dancing now), she said, "Can you please all come to the living room." And then walked out.

It gave me shivers. Cathy was never formal. It sounded like she had bad news... But if she did she would have told me before...

Once we (everyone in the house, including the Ralph Lauren workers) were sitting down on the sofas in the living room. I smiled at Cathy. She didn't smile back at me, she just stared at me. Not in an angry way, but in the way that she wanted me to understand what she was about to do next.

It made me fell uncomfortable. I picked up Henry who was running by my feet, and placed him on my lap. I started striking him and he gave me a kiss. I loved Henry so much. At least he would always have good news and be there for me, no matter what.

"Ahem. Okay. Um... There's something I have been hiding, and I need to tell you all." Cathy said.

"I met this guy." She continued. "And something happened between us."

"Oh my god, your pregnant!" Mum shrieked, almost instantly in tears.

"No mum! I'm not pregnant! I have nothing special in that way with this guy. All we share is the same dream."

Vague images of when Cathy first told me her dream after I told her mine, popped into my head. It was a distant memory now, but I can remember the main facts and events.

"What dream?"
"Doesn't matter. But he helped me make plans to persue it. But all I have to tell you is... I'm just going to say it straight out..."

I dreaded what came next.

"I'm moving to Australia. I'm going to be a surfer."

My heart skipped a beat.

"But your only fifteen!" Mum cried, with sadness, not anger.

"Mum, I turned sixteen to weeks ago." Cathy said, folding her arms. Mum knew she was sixteen, but it always took long for mum to get used to changes.

I still couldn't believe it. I had to get away. I felt nauseous.

"I'm leaving tomorrow."

"Tomorrow?!" Mum shrieked.

"I've been planning it with Steve for months. I already bought flight tickets and an apartment."

"What about school?!"

"I'm pulling out. It's my last year anyway. I can pull out, I'm old enough."

"What about money?!"

"I've been saving up for ages. And Steve knows a place that needs a worker. I'll find a job."

She'd been saving up for ages?! Why hadn't she told me she had this planned! I told her about my dream as soon as I realised it! She hid this from me! We had such a tight bond! I trusted her! She didn't even tell me!

Betrayal and disgust ran through my adrenaline. I couldn't even look at Cathy, and I was focusing on trying to breathe.

In and out. In and out. But with every breathe I took, reality of Cathy moving sunk in and it got harder and harder.

"Why Cathy? Just why? Do you not like it here?"

"Mum, it's nothing to do with here. I love it here. I always have. But this is not the place for me anymore. I have to make my dream come to true. That's why you have dreams."

I couldn't breathe. Cathy was right. You have to do everything to make dreams come true. Would I be able to do that someday?

That didn't matter! My sisters leaving! Leaving for good! I don't even know when I will see her again!

This can't be happening! I have had my dad taken away from me, not Cathy too! Anyone but Cathy!

I couldn't breathe. Mum and Cathy were arguing. I put Henry down from my lap gently, and then darted out of the room. I needed fresh air. My lungs we're taking in oxygen, and my view was blurry. Was I about to faint?
No, you won't faint if you keep running!

So I ran. I ran out of the house with no coat. I ran through the garden, past the flowers and plants which were now dying. They looked all sad and lonely. Would I end up like that if Cathy left?

I didn't know. I didn't know anything anymore.

All I could do, was run.