Chapter 2

"Philby, I'm going to bed. Make sure this is all cleaned up! Willa don't stay to late!!" Mrs Philby yelled as she closed the kitchen door.

Everyone had gone but Willa, who stayed to help clean up. They worked quietly side by side throwing away plastic cups and hanging up wet swim towels.

" So." Philby interjected into their small talk, later, when they were sitting side by side, feet dangling into the pool.

"What?" She knew what he was trying to say, but she wanted to hear him say it.

"What are we Willa?" He turned to her, eyes searching. " What does next year look like for us?"

"I don't know Philby..." She said looking down, toying with her hands.

"Willa," He said, she looked up. "I...I love you, and I don't want to move on without knowing that you feel the same. I want us to be official, I want you to be my girlfriend"

"Philby. You can be an idiot sometimes, you know that?" She said half laughing. "I have loved you for as long as I have known you. Of course I feel the same way. Yes."

"Good." He smiled and laughed with relief. Willa reached over and grabbed his hand. He pulled her closer and kissed her softly. She savored the moment. Their first real kiss. When they broke apart she looked down, feeling suddenly shy.

" It's late, I should go home. But I'll text you later okay?" She said.

"Okay." He smiled and walked her out to her car. Willa drove away slowly. She was actually Dell Philby's girlfriend. She laughed out of pure happiness. Finally.