Chapter 3

"What next..." Willa murmured to herself as she surveyed her small dorm. She had made her bed, hung her clothes and stocked her kitchenette. She now began to unpack small personal effects. She layed out all her office supplies and books on the desk and the few shelves surrounding it. She plumped her favorite throw pillow that had "When you wish upon a star" embroidered on the front, on her bed. Smiling she removed a picture of her and Philby.  The picture had been taken by Charlene one afternoon at The Marble Slab. They were working on a difficult equation together, they were both leaning in to look at the paper, heads touching, brows furrowed. It wasn't the cutest picture ever taken but it was so natural and real it made Willa's heart ache. She lovingly  placed it next to a group picture of the Keepers. She sighed. It had been a fun day getting here, she had already met her roomate. A cheerful and upbeat girl named Elisa, she had a short walk through of campus and set up her room. Willa lay down on her bed. She was exhausted.  The day had been fun but also quite long. Closing her eyes she drifted off.

She woke up with a start when her phone buzzed. She groggily sat up and turned on her phone. She had 4 unread texts, one from her Mom, one from Charlene and two from Philby. She opened Philby's first.

Have you settled in? I hope your roomate is better than mine, if I have to listen to Hotline Bling one more time...

Hey, call me when you have some downtime!

She smiled. He had gone to college last week and was already settled in. She checked her clock. It was 7:09 pm for her, so it was about 10:00 for him, not too late. She hit speed dial.

" Hey!" She heard his voice and  smiled.

"Hey yourself, how's college?" She asked, and it didn't take long for Philby to animatedly start talking about school. They had been talking for a good hour when Willa's roomate walked in.

"Hey"  she mouthed, seeing Willa was on the phone. Willa smiled, 

"Okay, we'll talk tomorrow, love you" she finished and hung up.

"Who was that?" Elisa asked curiously. 

" Oh, that was my boyfriend" Willa smiled a little shyly.

"Ooooo," Elisa exclaimed settling on her bed "tell me more!"