Chapter Two

***************

"Dad, why couldn't you pick me up earlier? I was stranded outside of the school for over 45 minutes," I say agitatedly to my dad.

"Sorry about that, honey. It was a long day at work, they asked me to stay later with them to meet everyone..." dad said as I quickly jumped into the front seat and the car engine started to roar to life.

"It's alright, Dad. At least you're okay..." I started trailing off...every time I think about anything happening to my dad, I just lose my train of thought.

"So how was your day, sweetheart? Anything new...you know, other than the whole school to you? Did you meet anyone?" My dad asked curiously as we turned onto one of the busiest streets it felt like.

"If you count accidentally punching a junior in the face as meeting him, then yes. I did meet someone new," I said with a chuckle, and my dad joined right in and laughed with me.

I noticed a car swaying in and out of the lanes, and apparently so did my dad, "Wow, what a reckless driver. Pray for him okay, honey? Pray that he gets home safely and that others around him get home safely as well," my dad said, always looking out for everyone. I love this guy.

Right after my dad prayed out loud for this guy, the driver of the car started swerving in and out of our lane. First, the car went into our lane that my dad and I were in, then he went out of it. Then, my Dad accelerated the car, thinking the man was done coming in and out of our lane, but right then, the man drove right back into our car...

**************

"DADDY!!! WHERE ARE YOU? DADDY!!!!" I screamed, trying to get out off all the wires and tangles of cords I was connected to that kept me from seeing my dad.

The nurse in the calmest way said to me, while trying to keep me down, "You're dad...he didn't make it. He was hit so hard by the drunk driver, that he...he got so badly hurt..."

My heart dropped. Knowing my one and only parent, my best friend pretty much, is now gon--

***************************

I woke up sweating and my heart pounding, so uncomfortable; then I saw Aaron. His hand was still holding my icepack,  and I could feel his heartbeat, which calmed me down.

That was an awful nightmare. I'm happy I got to wake up next to Aaron though, waking up to his arm still on my back. He makes me feel...safe. WAIT! D.J. you just slept with a guy. Well not really "slept (;" but you still slept with him. You are a Christian woman that can't sleep around with guys...wow look at his muscle. He's in great shape. Oh and that face. I mean can we just take a minute to appreciate that amazing bone structure? And those lips...I bet those are kissable...okay wait he's waking up...

"Mornin' sleepy head. I guess we fell asleep through a couple of class periods..." I started to say calmly while still laying down next to him, as he opened up his droopy eyes.

"Yea, I figured we would fall asleep. I knew you were out once you closed your eyes. Then I fell asleep about five minutes after you fell sleep..." Aaron's voice was clearly worn out...he was still waking up.

"So what did you do during those whole five minutes? Watch me sleep?  Well I'm not the cutest sleeper out there," I said with a laugh and continued, " well I woke up five minutes after you did, you know."

Then Aaron spoke up, cleary awake now, "What did you do those whole five minutes? Watch me sleep?"  he mimicked me with a smile.

We just layed there on the nurses bed in silence, smiling at each other, not really knowing what to say. Aaron still had his arm on my back, holding the icepack, with both of us surprisingly not moving an inch.