Chapter Five

"Shiloh, why would Aaron do this to me?" I asked as Shiloh and I sat down at a lonely table in the corner of the lunch room. 

I still can't believe Aaron would do this to me, put me through hell. I tried ignoring those texts that I got from the blocked number, but it was so hard to. I was called ugly, unworthy, bitchy, a whore, and so much more. The whole thing pushed me to go to Church more often, though; so I guess there's an upside to this whole situation.

"You know, I have no idea why Aaron would do this to you, DD," Shiloh then smiled at me with his eyes then ate one of the Funyuns off of my plate full of nasty cafeteria food. "Hey! On the bright side, at least I have my phone!" Shiloh exclaimed as he reached into his pocket and dug out a Nokia flip phone; it looked just like mine. 

"Well why do you still have your moms phone, then?" I asked after his mom's phone dropped out of Shiloh's pocket.

Shiloh seemed like he didn't know how to respond, then quickly said, "Oh, she's just letting me use it so..." pause, "...so I can copy the contacts off of her phone onto mine, you know how I put all of my friends contacts on her phone when I didn't have a cell yet?" He fixed his blond hair by combing his fingers through it.

With me totally not caring about Shiloh's phone situation right now I said, "You know what, I'm going to text Aaron. I just can't BELIEVE he would do this." I started getting really frustrated. 

Shiloh quickly snapped, "What? No. No, don't do that...just ignore Aaron, okay D.J.?"

Why is Shiloh being so weird? Whatever, I'm determined to figure this out with Aaron...I still really like him. But, I know that Shiloh wouldn't approve of me talking to Aaron, so I made up a lie.

"I'm gonna go pee...see ya," I say as I quickly make my way out of the lunch room, determined to get to the bottom of this situation. Shiloh was just getting up to throw our trash away, I have time to talk to Aaron...I finally spotted Aaron by the other side of the bathrooms. Here we go.

As I walked up to the guy I haven't spoken to in over three weeks, I knew I had to be as calm as I possibly could. But, when I got up to Aaron and he smiled at me, I couldn't handle it. Why would he smile at me after all he's done!

"I CAN'T BELIEVE YOU, TVEIT," I yelled as I pushed him up against a wall, seeing a blob of people circle around us. 

Clearly taken back with my reaction to his smile, he says quietly, trying not to make the scene bigger than it already is, "What are you talking about?"

"WHAT THE HELL DO YOU MEAN "WHAT AM I TALKING ABOUT?" YOU KNOW EXACTLY WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT. THOSE MESSAGES YOU SENT TO ME FROM THAT BLOCKED NUMBER. YOU KNOW EXACTLY WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT." I saw the fear in his eyes and noticed his black eye that was barely noticeable anymore, like mine. Then I remembered how the black eyes happened  and I started tearing up, "How...how could you do this to me?" I asked, calming down.

"What messages are you talking about?" Aaron asked me, everyone started parting ways, going to class, probably because there was nothing to see anymore.

Right when I was about to slap Aaron for being so ignorant, Shiloh came up to Aaron, not noticing me, and gave him his mom's phone and saying, "Thanks for letting me use your phone, bro. I really needed it..." and saw me, and knew his was in trouble.

"Explain yourself, please," I heard myself say, tears rushing down my face. Aaron rubbed my arm, and I couldn't resist. I pulled him into a hug and told him I was sorry. Over and over, "I'm sorry, I'm sorry."

Shiloh started talking after giving a jealous glare at me and Aaron, "The first time I saw you, in Miss Jay's debate class, I liked you, D.J. You're red hair, how cute and short you are, your personality, you're just all around beautiful. Then I see you hanging out with Aaron and didn't want that; I wanted you all to myself. So, I made up an excuse to use Aaron's phone for the past four weeks. And ever since Aaron lend his phone to me, I've been sending messages to you...from a blocked number, you know, making sure you stay away from Aaron. (And you thought his phone was my mom's...) But it worked! D.J, I've had you all to myself for the past month because of those messages. If you ask me, I think it was all worth it; we have an undeniable connection," Shiloh said while trying to hold my hand.

"Shiloh, let me get this straight. You took my phone and sent anonymous texts threatening D.J not to hangout with me? You know how much I missed her? WHAT KIND OF BITCHY SICK GUY WOULD DO SUCH A THING?" Aaron said angrily while letting go of me, and getting really close to Aaron, a clenched fist at his side. 

"Forgive me, but it was worth it," Shiloh said casually.

Clearly that was the last straw for Aaron because he threw up his fist and let if fly onto Shiloh's face.

***

My MP3 player was on, the world blocked out, well for now that is. I was sitting in this really comfortable chair in the main office of the school, waiting for the principal to call me to his room. I was getting into this song from Shania Twain, "You're Still the One." I kept replaying the song then looked to my left then to my right and saw no one in sight, so I decided to turn the music up louder and sing along. "You're still the one I run to, The one that I belong to, You're still the one I want for life..." Then I get a tap on the shoulder, "Nice song, isn't it?" I jumped as Aaron said that.

"Way to sneak up on me!" I said, a little happy that Aaron heard me sing. I mean I really can sing, but I've never had lessons.

"You got a nice voice there, ya know," Aaron gave me a wink.

So I smiled back and stated, "I'm so sorry for getting upset at you...I had no idea Shiloh was the cause of this. So, what are your consequences, bad boy?"

"Good news, I can still do school activities and all that. But...I have after school detention for the next two weeks..." Aaron started to trail off when we both saw Shiloh walking out of the principals office with a softball sized black eye.

When Shiloh finally left the main office I said, " You know what, I have a huge project due for science in two weeks. So until then, you focus on showing up at detention, and I will focus on my science project, okay? But after two weeks, we can start to hangout at my place again...my dad misses you, ya know. But he's not the only one..." I leaned in and kissed Aaron. So happy to feel his lips brush against mine. And there that feeling was again...the feeling of protection. He made me feel safe with him...like he was holding my heart, but protecting it.

***

(ONE WEEK LATER)

Why are all these people staring at me? We are all here for the same reason--to audition for roles in Peter Pan. But, I would like to know who my competition is. There's that blonde girl in my gym class, looking as nervous as ever, there's that group of brunettes that run in a pack in my science class, and there's Shiloh, then there's---HOLY AFDSGHJKL...SHILOH? Why is he here? I swear...if he is just trying out because I am, I'm going to be pissed. Imagine having to kiss him...if I turn out to be Wendy and he's Peter?! Gross. Oh and there's Aaron talking to Shiloh. WHAT! AARON! I bet Aaron is auditioning for Peter Pan...what if he got the part? Then I got the role of Wendy? I think yes...we would spend more time together...and I have been thinking about letting Aaron sleep over...if our relationship keeps growing...

"Miss Jadin, your turn to audition, please!"

***