Chapter 8: Hitch A Ride

Pic of Anita on side...

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What the fuck was I going to do?

I didn't know Cole was really alive! I just thought I would go on a wild goose chase, 'find myself' in the process, get over the rejection and then go home. But now, I'm sat in his office; with him trying to persuade me to join his pack and blah blah and that vampire chick watching me like a hawk. Turns out Tenar's not far off from being Luna. She's actually the Beta-I know, I was shocked too, but to be honest I'm not surprised. Something about her...her aura. She feels dangerous.

"Ciel, either you go back home or you stay here." My focus drifted from Tenar to Cole. 

"Changing packs isn't really what I had in mind so..." I trailed off. Where in hell was Anita?

"Speaking of which, why did you leave?"

Okay, listen. This guy may be my dad but that doesn't mean I was going to spill my life fuckin' story to him, "To go for a walk-" BANG! Cole's hands slammed down on the table, effectively breaking it. Short fuse huh? Just like Max

Cole sat back down, without the desk in front of him, so had to resort to resting his hands on the arm-rests.

"Just make up your mind, here or Lake."

I took a few moments to consider my options; I go home I'll be in trouble and have to deal with Reece and Max, I stay here I'll probably either end up committing homicide or suicide. I snickered at my little joke.

"Ciel!" He snapped. He was losing his patience again, and from the corner of my eye I could see Tenar tensing. She was weary of him too.

"Neither, I already have a place to stay." Something told me it would be best if I didn't mention Bane.

"Fine but check in with me on a regular basis. Two of my men will escort you to our border."

"I think Anita and I can make our way through a fucking forest without a babysitter thanks." I scoffed.

"You will be escorted, am I understood?" 

"..."

I stood up to leave, snatching up my sword from where it was leaning against the side of the chair, failing to notice the way Cole's eyes zeroed in on it, "Where did you get that?" He sounded on edge.

"I bought it."

Anita and I walked out the front door of the pack house. I was clutching my sword and Anita's gun was in an actual holster strapped to her leg, I smirked, it was about time. Turns out, Anita's brother and the woman that cooked for us were the so-called escorts. 

The journey was silent until we got to the border that lead onto a highway. Anita started crying, babbling about how much she'll miss Deck and the woman and I watched in amusement as she almost squeezed the life out of him.

Out of nowhere the woman yanked me into a hug and I froze in shock. Her cold lips brushed against my ear, "Don't come back, and don't let him find it," She whispered and pulled back, staring me in the eye as a re-enforcement of her warning. 

I nodded, and the glint behind her eyes disappeared, masked with the gentle smile she had greeted me with. Confused, I nodded goodbye and followed Anita the rest of the way onto the highway. When I looked back she was gone, I could only see Deck's retreating back.

No more than ten minutes later a massive truck rolled by, then pulled over. Anita did most of the talking, I listened. We were somewhere in North Dakota, and Luckily the driver was going south, dropping by the next state over from Mississippi. So we hitched a ride back home. The driver kept eyeing my weapon the entire time, but Anita kept her gun hidden beneath her skirt.
Still, I couldn't believe he was alive.

"Don't Come Back..."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thank You for Reading! :D