⁽ ¹⁴ ⁾ ❝ ʜ ᴇ ᴀ ʀ ᴛ s ɪ ᴄ ᴋ ❞

Jana let her head fall onto her pillow, closing her eyes and exhaling. Her entire body seemed to sigh in relief.
After showering in cold water, and clothing herself merely in one of the black silk gowns in her dresser, she had gone directly to bed, hair still sopping and stomach empty.

She guzzled down a tall glass of water, but ignored her growling stomach. Food was convenient, sleep was necessary.

Her limbs ached, but it was an insignificant pain compared to the release of strain on her being.
After the unexpected duel with her Master, Jana had stayed and trained on her own for the rest of the day.

Now, she was convinced it was the worst decision of her life.

But she put the strenuous day behind her, and focused on sleep.

Ren had been right when he'd told her that she could ease the nightmares. Even with the paltry knowledge she'd developed, she was able to reduce the morbidness of the nightmares.

Safe in the idea that she could control the images about to come to her, she drifted off into a deep sleep.

✧ ✦ ✧

"Rey, look at this one!"

Jana tossed a long metal piece to her sister, who caught it and grinned. "This is perfect, J! Surely we can get something for this!"

With that, Rey grabbed Jana's hand and began dragging her away from the crash sight. Every time they went on a Scavenge, they got closer and closer to the heart of the ship, but they hadn't yet built up courage to go inside it. But today, Jana had found a part that would fetch a high price for sure.
The two eight-year-old's made their way to town, successfully trading the old trinket for two-portions before returning home.

It had been a long while since both girls' stomachs were full, but this time they each had a meal all to themselves!

After eating, Jana and Rey lay on a scratchy blanket outside the Walker, gazing up at the clear night sky.
Jana cocked her head to the side.
"Rey?"

Her twin looked at her. "Yeah?"

"What's gonna happen to me when you leave me?"

Rey frowned, rolling onto her side. "What are you talking about, Jana?"

Jana made a face. "Well, mom and dad left us here...so doesn't that mean that someday you have to leave me?"

Rey shook her head, wrapping her arms around Jana.

"No, J. I'm not gonna leave you. Ever. We're sisters. We take care of each other. We love each other, and we never stop doing that. No matter what. Okay?"

Jana snuggled into Rey's embrace. "Okay. So you'll always be with me?"

Rey smiled, giving her sister's forehead a kiss.

"Always."

✧ ✦ ✧

Jana started out of her dream, sitting up on the bed. She breathed unsteadily for a few minutes, tears in her eyes as she recalled the dream.
Only this time it hadn't been a dream. It had been a memory.

Rey had always been there for Jana. Jana had always been there for Rey. But now they were just about as far from each other as possible.

Jana didn't know what time it was, but she laid back down nevertheless.
She returned to sleep with moist and salty cheeks.