Chapter Five; Promises Are Promises, Aren't They?

I was waiting by the front door of my house, waiting for Zac to come and pick me up like he usually does. He pulls up to my house, smiling at me as I came to his car. As soon as I got in I was greet with a lovely coffee smell. I looked over at Zac who was holding a hot Starbucks drink and it had my name written on it.

He handed to me, with an apologetic look. I took it and sipped on it. It was a caramel latte, my favorite. I looked suspiciously at him.

He half smiled. "How's the drink?" He asked awkwardly.

I took another sip. "It's great, thank you,"

He nodded. "It better be for what I paid for it," he started the car and headed to the school.

When we got there Alice was no where to be found. William parked next to us, leaning against his car with his arms crossed. He looked at my drink when I got out of the car and made a disgusted face.

"You drink that nasty, over priced crap?" He asked, walking along side of me.

I got in his face and sipped on it. "Mmmmmmm yeah, it's so good too,"

He lightly punched my shoulder. "You white girls are crazy,"

I rolled my eyes. I looked over at Zac and he was texting on his crappy ass phone. I tried to see who it was but he shut it off before I could get the chance. I huffed.

"Why did you get me the drink anyway?" I asked Zac quietly. He shrugged.

"I felt bad about what happened yesterday and I wanted to make it up to you,"

"Uh huh... & how did you know Starbucks was gonna work?"

He looked down at me like I was stupid. "You act like I haven't known you for 11 years. I know what you like, Mer,"

That made my heart dance. He does pay attention to the littlest things about me. It was really sweet.

We made it to our English class and we said bye to William. We took our usual seats, but hardly anybody was in here. I just kept drinking my delicious drink while Zac was texting non stop. He's never texted this much before because it's never interested him. He was the 'I'll give you a call' type of guy.

My classmates made their way into the room, laughing and giggling at useless crap. We had a substitute today so that meant we could do what we wanted. It also meant I did my entire English paper for nothing because the teacher wasn't even here to grade it. I groaned at the thought. I put a lot of hard work into that thing.

Zac turned around to face me, smiling more than usual. What was he all smiley about?

I raised my eyebrow. "Is something wrong with your face?"

He looked down. "No? Why would there be something wrong? Do I have a zit?!"

I laughed slightly. "Nah. You're just smiling a lot and I know it isn't because we have school. Come on, cough it up. What's going on?"

He then looked out the window, his phone buzzing again. He pulled it out to text and I tried to snatch it from him but he had fast reflexes.

"Wouldn't you like to know?"

"Yeah, actually, I would. Zac, who are you texting?"

"A friend,"

I squinted my eyes at him. A friend, huh? He doesn't have friends. "I'm sure. Do I know this friend?"

"Maybe,"

Maybe? "What're you doing tonight?"

"Hanging out with you, of course,"

"You better say that. My house? I rented a lot of scary movies and got a whole bunch of candy,"

He chuckled. "Sure, Mer. Whatever you'd like,"

That was the Zac I knew and loved. "It's settled. You better not flake,"

"I won't, Mer,"

Class ended after that and I had to go to Spanish where that awful Marie was. I said my goodbyes to Zac, and dreadfully headed into my next class. As usual, all the boys were around Marie, and Marie was just texting away, still not paying any attention towards them like she used to.

It sucks that I had to sit next to her. Hm. Maybe I could see who she is texting. Why did I have a feeling it was Zac?

No.

Zac wouldn't do that. He promised. It was best just to mind my own business, but I felt like something was off. Zac wasn't acting like his usual self and he was constantly texting... He was texting her about the same rate as Marie was texting.

I had to find out for myself. I 'accidentally' knocked my pencil on the floor, and Marie looked at me like I was stupid. I bent down to get it, stretching to get a closer look at Marie's phone.

Marie put her phone away, it's like she knew I was doing that. I groaned quietly. This was useless. I was being irrational. Nothing is going on between them. Zac promised me.

Zac promised me...

I just felt like something wasn't right and I couldn't shake the feeling.

DISCLAIMER; please help me out with a few chapters. I'm trying to write some fillers because I feel like it's too early in the story to get things moving where I want them to be. I need some ideas!! Please and thank you!