Chapter Ten; I Have To Know

"Zachury Stevens!" I was pounding on his front door, demanding answers. Nobody was answering but I saw Zac's car in his driveway. I really haven't spoken to Zac in a few days and when I have he just gave me short replies. If Marie got ahold of him then I didn't like who he was becoming.

When nobody would come to the door I just helped myself. I slowly opened the door, peeking in to see if his mom was around. I didn't want to be rude.

Haha, coming from the girl who is just walking into a home uninvited.

The entire downstairs was dark and quiet. The only light that was shining through was the sunlight in the blinds. I could hear Zac's video games coming from upstairs. He was yelling at his television. I crept upstairs, careful not to make noise.

Zac's door was cracked, and I could see him laying in his bed with his headphones on. I took a deep breath before I pushed the door open.

Zac looked over at me, wide eyed. He paused his game, setting his headphones down. He sat up against his headboard. I sat in his nearby computer chair, avoiding his gaze.

This was awkward.

"I didn't hear you come in," he said.

"I was knocking for a good while and then I let myself in..."

"Why didn't you just walk in like you usually do?"

I sucked in my breath. "Cause I don't know if we are friends anymore," that really hurt to say.

Zac's expression turns hard. "Meredith, we are friends,"

"Are we even best friends still? I mean, best friends don't break promises," I didn't mean to say that. I mentally slapped myself. I didn't want to bring it up like this...

His jawline hardened, and his eyes turned cold. "Yes, Mer, we are best friends. I never broke any promises? What are you talking about?"

I couldn't keep the words from slipping my stupid mouth. "You and Marie? Are you guys talking? Are you a thing?" Shut up, Meredith, before you really lose him. My heart couldn't take that.

"Are you and William a thing?" He shot back. It sounded like he was insulting me. Who the hell is Zac anymore?

"No," I practically spit the word out. His expression seemed to relax slightly.

"Marie and I are not a thing," he started, looking away from me.

"And?"

He pursed his lips. I could tell he wanted to say something. He just shook his head.

"That's all you need to know,"

I was furious. Why does he always freaking say that?

"Then why do you want to know about William and I?!"

"I like to know things," he mumbled. Just then his phone was buzzing and I practically leaped over to grab his phone. I don't know what came over me. I'm acting like that psychotic girlfriend but I'm not his girlfriend. I had to know. He won't tell me anything else.

I ran to the other side of the room with his phone. He immediately was at my side, glaring darkly at me. He tried to reach for his phone but my reflexes were faster than his.

"Mind if I read these?" It wasn't really a question. I flipped his phone up, and he had two messages.

"Meredith Emma Dennell, give me my phone,"

I started to read his text message aloud and slowly.

I would love to go this Friday!

My heart broke when I read the name...

Marie

I started to read the other message and Zac was so pissed. He kept trying to reach at my hands, but I was running all around the room. Why? Why would he lie to me?

Zac??? I miss you, baby! - Marie

"Baby?! Zachury, what is going on? Why did you lie about this? You could've told me and saved all this trouble!"

He was silent. He snatched his phone back, immediately texting her back. He shoved his phone in his back pocket, running his hand through his hair.

"I thought we made a promise? I didn't want you to talk to her... She's bad news..."

"You're not my girlfriend and you're not my mother. I can talk to whomever I want," he snapped.

That felt like a knife stabbing my heart. It's just one thing after another with this boy. "Yeah, you've made that quite clear over the years," I murmured. "When we made promises we kept them. I thought that was what best friends do but you're clearly not the same person. Where was the guy I knew 3 weeks ago? Did Marie change you this much?!"

He still didn't say anything but his face looked like he was hurting. Not like he was gonna tell me. He put his headphones back on, and unpaused his game. I groaned loudly, slamming his door shut.

All I wanted to do was bawl. What in the world just happened? I had to get out of here.. To clear my thoughts. I needed to hang out with someone who wasn't such a jackass, and I knew just the person.

**

"Thanks for inviting me over, Mer," William smiled as he opened his truck door for me. I hopped in, avoiding his gaze.

"Yeah, no problem,"

"So? Where to?" He started his truck up, and the heater was blasting. It was freezing outside but I guess that was supposed to happen with Halloween being a week away.

I shrugged. "Wherever you want," I felt kinda bad for using him like this but William was the only person who would talk to me. Alice was doing her own thing now with her new friend so she left William out like Zac was doing to me.

"I know a place. Can you rollerskate?"

I raised an eyebrow. "Roller skate?"

He nodded. "Can you?"

I've never been roller skating before. I shook my head and his eyes brightened up. The truck started moving and it didn't take long to get to where we were going.

DISCLAIMER; I'm sorry for all those who love Zac but I have very big plans for him in much later chapters so don't hate him too much! I love William tho, he's my fav. Sorry for such a short chapter btw!