17: " A Velociraptor"

We enter into the deserted visitor's centre. A large sign that says "When Dinosaurs Ruled the Earth. . ." droops overhead. Dad now carries Tim, who is weakened but conscious.
"HELLO?!" Dad yelled.
But nobody answers.

We come into the restaurant. Dad carefully sets Tim in a chair at one of the tables. Lex across from him. Dad looks at me, smiling until he notices my hand swollen and bruised.

"What happened?" He asked worriedly, holding my wrist gently.

"Fell on it when I jumped off the fence" I told him. Dad nodded.

"I am gonna have to find the others and get you both to a doctor. Will you look after Lex and Tim?" Dad asked me. I nodded. Dad embraced me into a hug and then he looked at Tim for a second.

"Your hair's all standing up." Dad said. He gently rearranges Tim's hair, which is wild, all over his head. Tim looks up at him weakly and manages a smile. Dad smiles back.

"Big Tim, the human piece of toast."
Dad said attempting to cheer him up.

"Be back soon, guys. I promise." Dad waves as he goes across the lobby of the visitor's centre and outside, I can see his silhouette, moving through a translucent mural that depicts dinosaurs in various natural settings. It's quiet for a second as I looked at Tim and Lex.  Tim and I go across the room, to an all-you-can-eat table on the
other side, and quickly piles some food on a tray and bring its back to the table. Lex digs in, munching on veggies, grabbing food with two hands. Tim enjoys his food, too. I took a bite of an apple. Lex comes up with a spoonful of lime Jell-O from a plastic dinosaur egg cup but her hand freezes halfway to her mouth. I see the expression on her face. She's staring over Tim's shoulder shoulder, eyes wide, the Jell-O quivering in her shaking hands.

"What is it?" I asked. Tim and I both turn around. Behind Tim, one of the silhouettes on the mural is a raptor, in a hunting pose. While we stare, the silhouette of a real raptor moves out from behind it and creeps forward, in the lobby of the visitor's center. Tim gasps. Lex wraps an arm each around me and Tim as we entered another room which had a metal door.

I pull the shiny metal door shut as quietly as i can. It latches with a distinctive click, but there's no lock. We were in a kitchen. Tim runs to a panel of lights switches and kills them all, plunging the room into semidarkness. We walk down an aisle and hide at the end, behind a counter, breathing hard. Tim peeks his head out and looks at the the door window. Tim quickly bought his head back to us.

"Timmy what is it?" Lex whispered.

"A velociraptor" Oh god! Another carnivore. We remained frozen against the counter hoping the dinosaur would go.  We stare at each other in shock as the door handle starts to turn. The door opens and the raptors split, taking two different aisles. We crawl away quick as possible which causes a pain in my arm and Tim awfully weak now,  moves down a third aisle, around the other side of the counter from the raptors, moving in the opposite direction. As we pass the raptors, one of the raptor's tails smack into some pots and pans, knocking them off the counter. They fall on us, but thankfully we managed to keep quiet.

We keep moving as one of the raptors dips down, looking through an open cabinet to inspect the racket.
We reach the end of the aisle and round a corner but Tim and I are falling behind now, and he accidentally brushes against some hanging kitchen utensils. One of the raptors jumps onto the counter, knocking more kitchen stuff to the floor. A ladle clatters to a stop, and the strange metallic sounds confuse the raptors for a moment.
But then they move, in our direction, sniffing, heading right for us. The raptor on the floor is just about to turn the corner to where we are sitting, exposed and exhausted, but both the raptors suddenly stop, hearing a clicking sound from the other end of the aisle. It's Lex, tapping a spoon on the floor to distract them. Thanks Lex'

The raptor on the counter jumps down and starts cautiously towards Lex's noise, leaving us. I see the raptors making a turn towards Lex, smashing more stuff around with their tails. Tim noticed too so we turn and see a walk-in freezer in the far wall, with a pin-locking handle. I picked up Tim with my left arm and makes a break for the walk-in freezer.

"Lily!" Tim said, pointing to somethings behind me. The raptor spots us. Both raptors go into a pre- attack crouch  and they pounce, one towards Lex and the other to us.
The raptor behind me charges after us, just open floor space between us.

At the other end of the aisle, the real Lex screams as the other raptor bears down on us. Tim rips the door open, and we fall.  Tim slips out my arms. My arm is hurting more now! The floor is cold and slick and Tim's feet go right
out from under him. I quickly get up from the ground, trying my best to ignore the pain. Tim sprawls across the floor, rolls out of the way and the raptor slips and falls into the freezer too, right past us. I hold Tim's hand and help him out of the freezer. The raptor makes one last lunge, right on our heels, its mouth wide open. This was the end. We screamed for life but Lex slams the door shut just as we are clear. The raptor's head is caught for a second, but it snarls, retreats, and Lex's gets the door shut all the way. We breathe heavily, catching our breaths.

The raptor roars and screams inside. Lex jams the pin through the handle, locking it in. Now the other raptor staggers to its feet. Groggy, it smashes
into stuff all over the kitchen. I lift Tim up with my left arm and Lex's hand wrapped in my right hand tightly and we run.