Chapter Ten

AUDREY'S P.O.V.
I stood there frozen. I couldn't move. He was obviously experiencing the changing. His skin was so pale it was almost purple and his veins stuck out on his neck and arms. He had a crazed look in his eyes which seemed even worse in the dim light the canopy of the trees allowed.
"Ben?" I asked
"You shouldn't be here" he whispered staring at you
"I what?"
"I am going to kill you." He said in a deep voice
"Ben? What are you saying?" I asked looking from his face to the bow and arrow in hand and back. I took a step backwards slowly.
"You should already be dead." he said
"Ben..." I looked at the bow and arrow again. He made no sense.
"You're messing everything up. You need to die." he said stepping towards me. Before I knew it he was sprinting at me. He lifted me off of the ground.
"HELP!" I screamed hoping someone would hear.
He slammed me into the wall. My head hit extremely hard and I instantly became weak. I was still recovering from yesterday. He kicked me in the stomach.
"It's... all...your...fault!" he yelled kicking me between each word. The pain was to much the bare and I began to see spots again.
"Newt! Minho! Alby!" I screamed "help!" and I was picked up again.
He threw me at the wall again and I screamed as loud as I could. I hit my head on the wall and the ground  when I fell onto the floor.
Ben took a step back and I slowly pushed myself up so i was sitting mainly being supported by the wall.
That's when Ben pulled out the bow and arrow. He aimed it right at me.
"You need to die." he said and let the arrow fly towards me. I ducked. It missed. He took aim again. This time I couldn't sit up because the arrow was stuck in the wall and was preventing me from raising myself off of the ground. I was to weak to move and I couldn't duck any lower. I was dead now. There was nothing I could do. I squeezed my eyes shut and waited for the pain to stab me.
I heard Ben pull back and then let go. He had a clear shot and I knew it would hit me.
Only it didn't.
I heard it hit the wall instead and it bounced off of it and landed on the ground a few inches from my face. I turned to see why Ben missed the perfect shot to find Newt on top of Ben. There was a steam of blood coming from Ben's forehead and a shovel was lying right next to the wrestling boys. Newt continued to hit and punch Ben until I whispered his name. That broke his angry trance and he looked towards me. Ben was unconscious.
Newt rushed over and lifted me into his lap. He held me in a tight hug while I cried into his neck. I could hear footsteps running towards us but I was too weak to move. Newt stood and held onto me. He was holding me bridal style. I rested my head on his bicep as he walked towards the footsteps.
"Minho!" he yelled.
"Newt! What happened?" Minho's voice asked coming closer.
"Ben survived the maze and attacked her. I need you to take her to the medjacks." Newt said
I opened my eyes and looked up at him the best I could.
"Why aren't you taking me?" my voice was weak and frail.
"I need to make sure Ben doesn't hurt you ever again. Okay? Minho will stay with you until I get there alright?" he asked looking at Minho who nodded in agreement. I nodded slowly and Newt kissed me on the head lightly. He gently placed me in Minho's arms.
A grunt coming from behind Newt signalled that Ben was no longer passed out. I lifted my head to see Ben charging at me and Minho.
In an instant Newt had picked up the shovel he had previously used as a weapon and had stepped In front of me and Minho.
"Minho run! Get Audrey out of here!" Newt yelled as he turned and hit Ben with the shovel in the stomach. I was to weak to refuse but I wanted to. I couldn't let Newt fight an infected Ben and not be there. Even if I was only half awake I needed to know where my brother was. I needed him.
But Minho turned and ran the second Newt finished his sentence.
"Hold on." he told me and I draped my arms around his neck. I couldn't hold on very tight but it was enough that he was still holding me bridal style but my head could see over his shoulder.
I saw Newt and Ben. I saw Ben push Newt to the ground. I saw Newt go still as his head collided with a rock.
"Newt!" I tried to yell but my voice was barely audible. Ben started to chase Minho.
"Minho" I said as loud as I could, "Ben is coming"
"We are almost there." and with that he sprinted faster than before. The closer we got to the outside of the dead heads the less trees there were. It was easier for Minho to run. We finally reached the glade and all of the other boys immediately saw Minho carrying me. The first person to come up to us was Thomas.
"What happened?" he asked but Minho kept sprinting. It was then that Thomas saw Ben emerge from the trees behind us. Before Thomas could react Minho was tackled from the side with me falling with him.
Ben quickly dragged me away from a discombobulated Minho by my arm before Minho could process what was happening. I tried to claw and his hand gripping my arm but I was too weak to fight him off. Soon he sat on my hips keeping me in the ground. I tried to kick and squirm but he was sitting on My hips pinning my hands to the ground with one hand.  I couldn't do anything.
Then I noticed the shovel in his other hand. It was the one Newt had used to put the huge cut in Ben's forehead and now it was about to do a lot more than cut me. By the look in Ben's eyes I knew what he was thinking. His eyes were crazed and his lips twisted into a grin. Thomas tried to pry Ben off but but used the handle of the shovel and hit him across the jaw sending him to the ground.
"You're going to die. I'm going to kill you just like they should have two years ago." He said to me in a twisted way and lifted the shovel to hit me with it and I closed my eyes. Then his weight was off of me. I opened my eyes to see Minho tackling Ben to the ground. Thomas helped Minho as the two held both of Ben's arms to the ground.
"Audrey!" I heard. It was Newt. I tried to sit up but the black spots were too much. I could barely see. Newt ran to me and picked me up slowly once he knew I was about to faint. I could see other gladers tying Ben up with ropes and dragging him in the direction of the slammer.
"What if he gets out?" I asked quietly
Newt stopped midstep and looked at me.
"He won't. I promise." He told me
"He lived through the maze, Newt. He can break out of a wood cage." I replied.
"I promise he won't hurt you okay?" he told me and I nodded. I rested my head on my brothers chest as he walked to the medjacks hut. Jeff was there and saw how bad I was. He had Newt put me in a room and put wet cloths on my bruises and cleaned my cuts. Newt refused to leave my side until Jeff told him to go get the cut on the back of his head checked out. When he still refused I made him.
Jeff continued to treat my injuries when the spots became too much.
"I need Newt." I told him breathing slowly but by the time Newt had entered the room everything was black for the second time in two days.