Lost in Love 6

Trent went into the house but didn’t find Sadie or Silas so he walked through to the kitchen and went out the back door.  He found Silas sitting by Sadie on the grass under her favorite tree. Trent could see that Silas had been crying as he looked up.

“She’s gone, son,” was all Silas said as he continued to rub her head.

Trent leaned down to make sure she was gone.  When he didn’t feel a heart beat or breath, he was convinced and rubbed his uncle’s shoulder for comfort.  Trent hadn’t missed that Silas had called him son.  Silas had only done that a few times and it was usually on sad occasions.  Never the less, Trent always felt pride swell when Silas called him son.

Soon, it was evident to Trent that Silas intended to sit with Sadie for as long as he could.  Trent sat beside his uncle and began to play with Sadie’s fur while they talked about what kind of a dog she had been.  Silas told stories about her when she had been just a puppy with loads of extra energy.  By the time his stories ran out, they were both ready to tell her goodbye.

Just as they were going into the house Becky came around the corner into the back yard.  She saw Silas’ face and then looked down to Sadie.  She immediately knew that Sadie had died while Trent had been at her house. 

She went to Silas and he held her in his arms for a minute.  Trent was moved at the care she showed his uncle.  He knew that Silas already considered her family even before Trent had went out with her.  Her membership in the family was not contingent to any decision he may make.

Becky comforted Silas and took him in the house.  She sat him at the table while she began making tea for both of the men.  When she was done, she sat the tea on the table and sat beside Silas. 

“Silas, I have to talk to you about what you want now.  Is that okay with you?”  Her voice was calm and even.

“What do you mean?”  Silas was confused as to what Becky was asking.

“I mean, for Sadie.  Do you want to bury her?  If you do Trent and I will do it.  Or, she can be cremated and you can keep her ashes.  The choice is up to you.”  Becky cared about Silas and it showed through her words and actions as she put her hand over his and squeezed.

“What do you think?  I’ll do whatever you think is best,” Silas looked to her for answers.

“Oh Silas,” Becky squeezed his hand again as Trent looked on.  “I can’t tell you what to do.  Why don’t you and Trent talk about it,” she stood and hugged his back as she walked into their living room so the men could talk freely.

After a few minutes Trent called for Becky to come back into the kitchen.  They asked more questions and made the decision to have Sadie cremated.  Becky told the men that there would be no cost to them and that she would have one of her employees pick Sadie up.  The men attempted to argue about the cost but were cut off when Becky refused to discuss it further.

When Christine and another employee came to pick up Sadie, Becky apologized for calling them on the weekend and promised a special gift for the both of them in return.  Christine knew that it was customary for the pet owner to deliver the animal themselves, but she didn’t ask any questions because it was Trent.  Christine had seen the looks the two had been exchanging for the last year or so and guessed that Becky was just in love.

Christine expressed her condolences and left quickly in her truck.  Becky could tell that Silas was fighting his emotions and decided to lighten the mood.

“Why don’t you guys go get cleaned up and then relax while I make us all some lunch,” she offered with a smile.

“That’s ok, Becky.  You don’t have to do that,” Trent stated as he walked closer to her.