Lost in Love 4

Becky skipped lunch because Mollie and her puppies had put her two hours behind this morning.  She was in a bit of a bad mood because of her empty stomach and the mess that was all over her blouse.  The only thing keeping Becky on her feet was the thought of seeing Trent tonight.

Christine had been pumping Becky for information all day.  Becky had told her all about Trent kissing her on his porch and that they had talked on the telephone until early this morning.  Christine was impressed that Trent had finally made his move.  Everyone in town saw the way those two looked at each other.

“Hey Becky,” called Christine, “your appointments are done, but Mister Frost just called.”  Christine didn’t want to complete her thought.

“Just spit it out Chris.  I know you need to tell me that Mister Frost is coming in with Zoey.”  Mister Frost was always calling about his Cocker Spaniel.  He lived alone with his dog and worried about every symptom.  The staff at the hospital were told to always let him come right over when he called.

“Yeah.  He said she has something in her eye this time.  Your dad was going to stay, but Mister Frost asked for you.  I’m sorry, Becky.  Maybe it won’t take too long.”  Christine really did sound remorseful.

“That’s fine.  Just let me know when he gets here,” she sighed.  Christine left the room and Becky started water in the kettle for a cup of tea.  She knew that Christine had washed her scrub top, so she checked to see if it was dry.

Becky found that it was dry and hanging in the closet.  She quickly removed her messed blouse.  Before she could put the other top over her head, Becky heard the door to the lounge open and she turned to see who it was.

“Becky, for Pete’s sake, go in the bathroom when changing.”  Her father averted his eyes until she had her top on.  She didn’t seem to be bothered by her father seeing her changing her top.  Becky went over and made her cup of tea.  She picked up an empty cup and tilted it to her father in offering.

“No, but thank you.  I have to go, and you have a visitor in the lobby.”  He began to gather his things so that he could go.

“Who is it?”  Becky sipped at her tea.

“That Nolan boy.  You know I can’t stand him.  I wish you’d stop going out with him.”  He became frustrated even thinking about his daughter with Nolan.

“Oh no,” Becky sat her tea back on the table.  She stood from her seat and began to pace the floor.  “I have a date tonight.”

“Yeah, he’s in the lobby,” her dad threw his thumb over his shoulder towards the door of the lounge sarcastically.

“No, not with Nolan.  With Trent Jensen.”

“It’s about time Becky, that boy’s in love with you.”  Her father was actually happy about Trent and Becky going out.  He had seen Trent wait around while Becky was shopping just so he could help her with her bags.  He had also noticed that Becky had become a fan of going to the town’s park on Saturdays just when Trent came running through.

Becky decided to go talk to Nolan and just tell him she had a date if he was here to ask her out. She wasn’t afraid that Nolan would hurt her, but she knew that he was more than capable.  She made her way out to the lobby to face him.

Nolan was standing on the far side of the room looking through a “Cat Fancy” magazine when Becky walked in.  She admired his strong jaw and toned body.  Becky knew why she had been attracted to Nolan.  She tried to read the expression on his face, but he was simply reading.  It was clear to her that she hadn’t been noticed yet.