Lost In Love 17

“You named that dog yet?”  Trent was sipping his coffee at the kitchen sink as Silas and the dog came in from the back yard.  He had gotten dressed to go for his Saturday run.

Silas looked up and grinned at his nephew.  “I didn’t hear you come in last night.  I hope everything is good with Becky.”  He knew Trent understood what he really wanted to know and he was going to get his answer.

“I was just quiet,” Trent snapped.

“Oh, I was up watching television until after midnight.”

“Just ask whatever it is that you want to ask.  You know I’ll answer.”  Trent put his cup down in the sink.  He really wanted to get away from his uncle and have his run.  Becky was leaving him tensed lately and he needed to run it out.

“Did you spend the night with Becky?”  Silas knew that Trent would answer his questions, but he really wanted the boy to want to tell him instead of being asked.

 Silas remembered the first time he had caught Trent with a girl.  Trent had been in the tenth grade at the time.  He had been running pretty hard after a blond haired blue eyed beauty for months.  Silas had come home early one evening from a basketball game to find Trent and the beauty that happened to be one of Silas’ students getting hot and heavy on the living room couch.  From then on Silas was open and honest with Trent about all things sexual.  And, he wasn’t a grandfather yet.

Trent let out a gush of air before speaking, “No, but not because I didn’t want to.  I just…I don’t know.  I’ve never run into this before.  Do you know how long I’ve waited for her to be mine?”  Silas nodded his head in understanding.  “I just don’t want to mess it up now that I’ve got her.”

“I know what you mean.  Son,” he paused, “I think you already know what you want with Becky.  It’s up to you both to build it and make it into what’s right for you.  Just don’t lose her.  Mess it up all you want, but don’t lose her.”  With that Silas walked away with misty eyes.

Trent was more confused now more than ever.  He wanted to go to Becky’s house and make love to her for the rest of the day before even coming up for air.  But, he decided to go for his run instead.  He called up to Silas to let him know where he was going before jogging his way to the park.

Trent had lapped the jogging path twice before spotting Sam waving him down.  He slowed his pace as he left the path to sit beside his friend.

“So, when are you setting me up with Becky,” Sam asked with amusement in his voice.

“Nope, I’m keeping her for my own.  Besides, you’re not her type,” Trent teased as he took the towel from his waist band to wipe the sweat from his face and neck.

“What do you mean ‘not her type’?” Sam was offended.

Resting his elbows on his knees Trent looked up at Sam, “Just what I said.  She’s not into the strong, muscular type.  She’d rather have the lean, athletic, good-looking, smart, fearless type.  Like me.”

Sam laughed heartily at Trent’s attempt at a jab.  “So, how’d it go last night?”

“Good,” Trent smiled.  “We talked about everything and I feel like I know her so much better now.”

“So you guys did talk?”  Sam was relieved that Becky had decided to talk to Trent because he had not been looking forward to telling his friend about Nolan’s harassments.

“Yep,” he answered.  “She really opened up to me.”  Trent was proud that he had gotten Becky to tell him all about her life.

“Good.  I was afraid she wouldn’t tell you and I’d have to do it.”  Sam leaned back in a more relaxed posture.