Lost in Love 7

Trent tried to busy himself with repairs to the work shop.  Some boards were in need of repair on the outside.  He nailed them back in place then moved to the inside.  The work shop was very small.  Because they lived in town it was really only used for gardening supplies, tools, and for Sadie.

Organization was not one of Silas’ strong points, so Trent began to pick up the bags of soil and pots.  He was making a space for the soil when Silas came in.  Silas watched Trent for a minute before he began to speak.

“You just can’t stand a mess, can you,” Silas chuckled.

“I never have liked working in a mess, no.”  Trent seemed to be concentrating too hard at his current task.

“I saw Becky’s arms today,” Silas paused giving Trent a chance to explain.  “That seems like one big mess that has to be cleaned up, and fast,” he finished.

Trent looked up at his uncle, “If you’re thinking I did that, you’re wrong.  I would never hurt Becky.  And, I’ve never raised my hand to anyone much less a girl.”

“No, I knew you didn’t do it.  She even confirmed that for me,” Silas scratched his jaw that hadn’t been shaved before continuing, “Is this something that you plan to help her with?”

“It was Nolan.  In the park, today,” Trent looked at his uncle and stood from his squatting position, “I stopped it for the moment, but I think he’s losing it.  I don’t know what I can do about it.”  Silas could tell that Trent was having a war with himself.

Silas knew that Trent’s mind was firmly on the past.  He didn’t want the past repeating it’s self, but at what cost?

“You need to decide how far you’re gonna let this go before you put a stop to it.  Becky’s gonna get hurt with this, and you know it.  Now, what are you gonna do?”  Silas’ voice was strong with concern and conviction.  He knew that Trent would need to step up for Becky.

“Steven is trying to control Nolan now.  I have to wait and see if Steven can do anything.  I can’t do what he did.  I can’t ruin lives like that,” Trent’s voice was sad and Silas knew that he was barely hanging on.  Silas knew how strong memories could be.  He also knew that Trent would need to set those memories aside in order to protect Becky.

Silas decided to let the topic go, for now.  Instead, Silas shifted the conversation to his budding relationship with Becky.  He questioned Trent about what he wanted with Becky and was pleased with Trent’s answer.

“What do you mean you want everything?”  Silas couldn’t help but to chuckle at his nephew.

“Just that, everything,” Trent answered as he seemed to stare off into space.

“You got it bad, kid.”

“I guess I do, but it just feels so right.  I have to say I’ve never felt this way before,” Trent looked into Silas’ eyes as he answered.

“New love always feels like that.  Give it time to make sure it’s the real thing,” Silas squeezed Trent’s shoulder and left him to his work.

Trent thought about what his uncle said and knew he was right; new love did always feel this way.  Love, that’s what he felt for Becky.  New or not, Trent’s love for Becky would last through anything.  He could feel that the smile he had was clear across his face now.  He had never felt this kind of love and longing.  Trent knew that he was honestly in love with Becky.

Becky parked her car outside of the market and hopped out with enthusiasm.  She knew it was the anticipation of seeing Trent tonight.  She made her way inside and greeted the cashier as she walked by.