Lost In Love 10

Becky was going out of her mind.  She felt as if she hadn’t left the house in weeks.  She had snuck out last night under the cover of darkness in order to pick up some things at the grocery store.  The trip went much better than the last one, but she did run into Candy.  She happened to be the only cashier at the small store.

Candy had noticed the fading bruises on Becky’s neck but hadn’t said anything.  Becky was happy with that, but was sure the town would know by morning.  In fact, Becky was surprised that the only phone calls she had received during the morning were from Trent and Silas.

She placed her lunch on a tray then poured a glass of sweet tea.  She took the tray into the living room and sat in her favorite chair.  She enjoyed preparing her own meals so that she could decide on its contents, but she missed having Trent drop meals off to her.  It was nice to be taken care of.

The turkey sandwich was half eaten when there was a knock at Becky’s front door.  She put the sandwich and the magazine she had been reading down onto the table.  She considered just staying put, but she had to know who was at the door.

Becky tip toed to the door so that whoever was on the other side would not expect an answer.  She peered through the peep hole to see Nolan standing on her front porch.  She leaned her head against the door unsure of what to do next.

“What do you want, Nolan?”  Becky didn’t know where the confidence in her voice had come from.  She was actually shaking from fear.

“I just want to see you, sweetheart,” Nolan spoke with a smooth voice.

“No!  Please just go away.”

“I’m sorry about the other day.  I just don’t like the idea of you letting Trent put his coward hands all over you.  I love you, Becky.  Just let me in and I’ll show you how much.”  Becky could hear that Nolan was barely holding it together.  Fear crept into her heart as she imagined Nolan breaking her door down and coming after her.

“Nolan, please, just go away,” Becky’s voice was just audible through the door as she spoke.

“Why?  Is Trent in there with you,” his anger finally showing through the surface.  Becky wasn’t dumb enough to think he truly cared about her.

“No, I haven’t been seeing Trent anymore,” she followed Steven’s earlier advice.

“Then see me,” Nolan pleaded with kindness in his voice.

“No, Nolan, you hurt me.”

“You just need time.  I’ll be back later.  I know you’ll let me in then.”  Becky watched as Nolan walked down her stairs and to his car.  Relief washed through her and she fell back into her chair.

She closed her eyes and breathed deeply to calm her nerves.  She began to think about what Nolan may do next time he comes.  She was caught up in these thoughts when another knock came from her front door.  She closed her eyes tighter making her whole face wrinkle with frustration.

“I told you to go away!  I never want to see you again Nolan,” Becky screamed without moving from her chair.  Screaming felt nice she just hoped that it wouldn’t set Nolan off.

“How about me,” Trent asked.

Becky gasped, “Sorry Trent,” she moved closer to the door, “Nolan’s been here and I’m just flabbergasted with him.”

“Will you let me in?”  Trent’s voice was soft and smooth.  It made Becky relax.  She could feel herself letting her shoulders down from their high position.

Becky looked down to the exposed section of her chest, “I can’t Trent.”

“Do you want me to stop trying?”  Trent held his breath as he waited for her answer.