Prologue

I grab my phone off of the charger and my bag from the bed. Still with 10 minutes to spare before I have to leave, I decide to read my text messages since yesterday I took my free day to myself and relax I had turned off my phone.

Reminders, hangout invitations... Nothing new until I come across this interesting one from my mother:

"Hello darling, how are you? It's your mother here. Don't forget this week is the annual family reunion. I'm helping your aunt Carla organising the event. And I can't wait to meet your boyfriend, please don't go to the reunion alone. You see how your aunt Carla is bragging about Nicole's engagement... I'll be there tomorrow, I'll give you a call when I get there. Love you."

So my mom is coming, just like that. She's not even here, she's already talking about my love life. For her it's not enough to be a successful rapper, I have to be a married woman to please her and my family. I love my family ad all but I'm sick of every year they approaching me with the same conversation. Do you have a boyfriend? When will you get married? You'll end up being a cat lady. It's horrible.

But I have better things to worry about. It was time to leave to the studio so I go downstairs and grab a strawberry-banana yogurt from the fridge and I rush out of the house into my pink Lamborghini Aventador. Driving into the streets of LA I reach the studio in less than 30 minutes.

I love my job, even though it's not easy, at the end of the day I can sleeping with a smile on my face because my fans inspire me. I do what I love and I love what I do. Getting to meet new and amazing people is also a bonus. Finding people who understand you and see you for who you are and not just a celebrity. That's why I'm grateful for Dwayne Michael Carter. He's my sensei and I'm the ninja and I love him very, very much.

Speaking of Wayne, he set up a meeting with everybody to talk about the new album for the label, he feels like we need to get everybody involved like a family again. He talked about the basics, number of tracks forecast, producers, release date forecast, just a draft.

After the meeting is over, I get into the booth and start my one hour session. I'm in the process of recording my third album, The Pinkprint, to be released in the last quarter of the year. Seems so far away, huh? But I know this is going to be a hit, my biggest project to date.

One song recorded and another arranged later, I was done. It was my turn to watch other people's sessions. I was enjoying seeing new music being created when I feel my phone vibrating indication that I'm receiving a call. I get up from my seat and exit the room to answer.

"Hello?" I say into the speaker.

"Hi Onika, it's your mother."

"Hi mom. How are you?"

"Yes, I'm fine and in town. I called you to tell you about today's horoscope..." After the word horoscope I pay no attention o what she says. Don't get me wrong, I love her but she need to learn how to back off sometimes. Reading my horoscope to me will not help me and my romantic feelings. ".. and I'm sure this loved one mention here must be a very handsome boyfriend of a daughter of mine. You have a boyfriend, right Nika?"

"Yes mom, I have."

"And you're going to introduce me to him, right?"

"Yeah, I'll- Wait, what?"Back to reality, what did I just say?

"It's settled! I can't wait to meet this mystery man." That annoying voice, I recognise it as my cousin, Nicole, aka my archenemy. What was she doing with my mother? I take a quick glance at the caller ID (like I should have done it before) and notice it that it was Nicole's number.

"Mom, where are you?"

"Already in the hotel, you know the one I like in downtown."

"Okay, I'm on my way to see you." I say walking back into the room to grab my person.

"I can't wait to see, I miss you."

"I miss you too. See you." I blow a kiss into the phone before I hang up.

What in the hell did I get myself into?