Ch.16

*creak*

I look around, but don't see anyone. I lay the book down on the stand next to the couch and walk over to the stairs.

"Nathan is that you?"

No answer.

*creak*

Okay, it's fine old houses creak.

*creak, crack*

They don't crack! I ran up the stairs and down the hall. I flung open every door in the hall looking for him.

*creak,creak,crack*

I looked back towards the sound then continued opening every door I could see. I ran up another flight of stairs and flung open the nearest door.

Finally! I see Nathan covered up and sleeping on the bed. I run to him and shake him.

"Nathan wake up did you hear that."

No answer.

"Nathan." I sat pulling the blanket off his head. That's not Nathan. I stare at the skeleton and scream. I throw my hand over my mouth and back up towards the corner. I slowly slump to the ground.

Someone's coming. They're running. They're getting closer.

I see them come in the room. I can't see who it is. The room is black and I can't see anything.

I start swinging my arms and kicking. I felt arms wrap around me and I try pushing them away but the person won't let go.

"It's okay Carrie. It's me Nathan." I hear his voice and throw my arms around him.

"Come on," he says.

He leads me to another room. I take it this was were he was sleeping. I lay down on the bed as he crawls up next to me. He puts his arms around me to comfort me. I'm was still shaking when me starts singing me a lullaby. His voice sounds pretty good. I wish I could sing like that. I can't sing at all.

As he sings I stop shaking and I slowly feel myself sliding into the world of dream. The world I've come to love more than the real one, but no dream could top this reality. The one going on right now, ya know.

"Hey Carrie, do you a cereal bar or cereal."

"Cereal." It's been so long since I had cereal since I was kidnapped, the first time, months ago. As I think back to that day my smile falls. Having a gun to my head, being knocked out, breaking out, watching my mom die, killing those men, running, being kidnapped again, meeting Jess, being saved. So much has happened in the last six months its hard to believe.

I was locked up more than half that time away. I felt something warm slid down my cheek. In these six weeks I haven't really had time to cry. Nathan doesn't like to see me cry, so I haven't. Not much anyway. I wipe my eyes and walk over to the table where I ha left the book yesterday. I picked in up and opened it to the next page.

"Here's your cereal." Nathan said walking into the room with two bowls of cereal. I quickly shoved the book in my bag that was behind me.

I thanked him ad sat down.

"So what happened last night?" He asked.

"I'm not sure. I thought i heard someone ad so I ran like crazy looking for you. I thought I saw you in that bed but when I pulled down the covers, who was that?" I asked.

"I don't know. I don't think I want to." He said with a sad look in his eyes.

We ate silently and then he stood up.