Chapter 2

My breathing pattern was shuddered. This was the first one on one social interaction I've had since my family had died.. They say being on your phone and computer was being anti social, but this was a whole new level.
I went to speak back but I had to clear my throat rapidly before being able to speak since I hadn't in so long.
"I'm Hailey.." I managed to grasp out.

"Hi Hailey... how old are you.. are you alone?" Rick asked.

I relaxed and stood up, they gave me space to do so too. "I'm 22.. and yes. I've been alone since the beginning of this." I said confidentially.

"You look a little young to be out here by yourself. I have a group back at camp.. your welcome to come."
I studded my words "I..I-I would like to.. please.." I answered. He smiled at me and said "All right"

If you want the truthful answer on why I said yes, it's because I forgot what it's like to be human. I been killing walkers every day, nobody to talk to, surrounded only with my own thoughts. It's scary what you can do to yourself after being alone so long. I felt as if I should have isolated myself when I met these people.. but the vibe they gave me. This Rick, and Carl. They seemed like good honest people. Rick had given us orders to pack as much food and supplies as we could, and he told me what I'd picked before they'd gotten here was mine. Another shocking sign that these were good people.

"Got everything?" Rick asked reassuringly before we were about to leave the house

"Yes" Carl amd I said at the same time. It made him giggle and smile a little.. and when I seen that smile on his face, I couldn't help but smile back. I don't know what it was but I was guessing it was either the lack of socalization, or just the rare sight of seeing joy on someone's face and celebrating it with them. It made me feel better. I trusted these strangers already. We got into a blue rusted Chevy Truck and road down the highway for about 20 minutes before turning and pulling into a long gravel road where I could see a beautiful farm house. We pulled up to the house and parked beside a light green SUV. Rick and Carl got out, already greeted by the group. They were looking at me already and I could tell. I looked on the porch from the ground were Rick was hugging a tall brunette with wavy long hair.

"Everybody this is Hailey, found her today scared and alone. She said she'd been alone this whole time, so let's give her a warm welcome everybody."
Rick words were nice and welcoming. Most of the group had smiled, even for a second except the one man standing to the side. I almost imediately felt as if I was taken in by the group, and smiled back. The ladies, Carol, Lori, Maggie, and Beth had intruded themselves first, then Shane, T dog and Hershel. The one man never took his eyes off me but continued to stare.

I reached in the truck and pulled out my medium sized duffle bag and my Bow without looking at the group. I looked out yonder to see a huge field in the background, and closer to the house was a big Tree with a firepit and tents around it. I turned to see the forest line and everywhere that seemed to catch my attention.

"Where do I stay?" I quietly asked Rick.

Rick paused and seemed to had thought of all the sleeping arrangements.
"Daryl has a four man tent that only he uses. Or there's the the floor in the house." He remarked.

The man must be Daryl. When I looked at the porch to find him he was no longer there, but instead walking towards what must have been his tent.

"Uhh, I'll figure it out later" I smiled.

Once the group had gone back to doing their normal things I walked towards where the tree and the fire pit was. I stopped a few feet away from the fire, behind the sitting logs and examined the layout before glancing at the huge tree. This tree was huge, must have been over 40 feet tall. Had plenty of good branches too. I put my bow behind my back and strapped my duffle bag to my side firmly. I began to climb the tree, but before I could even get to the second branch called out from behind me.

"That's a nice bow ya got ther' missy."

I jumped down from the second branch, which really was only Maybe 3 feet from the ground and turned to where the voice came from. It was the man.

"Thanks, I never got to introduce myself.. I'm Hailey." I said gently.

"Daryl." He replied with a little smirk on his face.

Now that this- now that Daryl was only a few feet away from me I could see his face and body structure better. He was a built man, with strong muscular arms. He had longer shaggy hair that covered his face, with deep blue eyes. He was definately pulling off the tough guy look.

"It's nice to meet you, Daryl."

He grunted, "you hunt any?" He asks

"Oh all the time." I reply

"With what?" He asks squinting at the crossbow on my back.

Okay Mr. Snobby. I pulled the bow off my back.
"This." I said firmly.

He smirked a little more, unzipped his tent door and pulled out his own. They were simular except his had little camouflaged patches on it while mine was completely black.

"They're betterbetter than guns" I shrugged.

He laughed and agreed with me "oh yes they are"

I smirked at this daryl guy I'd just met. He was attractive I'm not gonna lie, he was.

"Decided on where your crashing tonight?" Daryl asked glimpse at the sunset.

"Here" I said without thinking, leaning against the tree.

"In this big ol' thee here?" How do you figure on doin' that?" He almost laughed until he realized I was serious.

"It's how I survived out here for so long. The height keeps you safe from the monsters." I told him.

"Walkers."

"What?" I asked.

"We call 'em walkers. Sounds alot better than monsters." He said without hesitation.

"You know," he continued without waiting for my reply on the last thing he'd said. "I ain't seen anybody else out here with a bow before." He said.

"Me neither" I kinda smiled. Not from happiness. Buy because I was really missing socalization. I'm gonna have myself a nap. I walked back to the tree. Which was a far ways away from the fire, and the tents. I climbed up and found a nice supportive branch and set up my things like how I used to. On other branches and hanging off strings. I sat with my legs out with the branch and my back to the core of the tree. I closed my eyes, and felt safe. This place was safe. These people, were safe. I started to close my eyes and think. I thought about Rick and how he'd taken me in. And I thought of the ladies here. I feel like me and Maggie will be close. I feel ands most as like Lori or Carol will be my protective mothers. I smiled at the thought. And lastly.. I thought of Daryl. How his posture was. The way he smiled briefly. He really was attractive. He was my last thought before falling asleep.