Chapter 26

I sent Carl off with the squirrel meat Hershel had requested and put the fire out with the designated swamp water. I dreaded going up to the tower but I was so tired I couldn't stay awake any longer. I had a very, very early morning concluded by a very late night.  The moonlight lit the path to the tower where I started going up.  I took a breath before walking into my room, well, our room. Daryl sat up as if he was awaiting my presence.

"Hailey Parker" he stated. He'd never really said my full name. It kind of shocked me. I stopped and looked at him.

"Hails listen.." He started.

"No, Daryl, it's late and I'm tired." I stated honestly. He got up and went right up in front of me, stopping me from changing into my sleepwear.

"Daryl." I said.

"No, Listen." He became a little forceful. I blinked at him, and nodded.

"Ok.. I'm listening." I said quietly.

"Hailey when I left you here I didn't have a choice. I didn't want you gettin' hurt. Injured. Bit. Killed. You name it.  There's all those posibilities, Hails. You're safer in here with these people than you are out there with me. If I asked you to come with me that day I left, and you got hurt. Or worse, ida never let myself forget that. I'd never forgive m'self. I left you here for the better. I loved you, it was a sacrifice I made for us. I know how you felt 'bout Merle so I took him outta you're way and in the process he ran off without me so I came back for you.  But I assure you I never stopped lovin' you. And this mornin' that was just the same thing. I didn't want you gettin' hurt dannit! Maybe if you weren't so bullheaded lately it woulda been easier to tell ya all this." He finished.

No no no! I couldn't bare it any longer. "Daryl stop it." I warned him.

"It's the truth!" He raised his voice slightly. 

"Listen if you think some verse you played over in your head a million times is going to work on me, it isn't. Do you know what Merle did to me? Do you?  Do you?!" I screeched at him.

He looked down and slowly nodded.
"And you picked him over me. You didn't 'get him out of here' for me. That was your choice. You still picked him after what he did. After he violated me. After he hit and beat me. You left with him. You broke my heart. You claimed you loved me, then left me alone while you galevanted with a piss poor excuse for a man. I really don't care that your brothers. I don't care what excuses you come up with. 'Bit, hurt, killed' what about rape Daryl?  Huh? Bet you didn't think of that one. And when he left you, when he ran off, you came back to me like an abused puppy."

I instantly regretted that last sentence. I didn't mean it like that.. I could tell I hurt him. I seen it in his eyes. They dimmed with the realization of what I'd said to him. Instead of arguing back like he normally would, he left the tower leaving me there with my regret. I changed into my sleeping clothing and crawled into my side of the bed.. hoping Daryl would return that night. I can't believe I let myself snap at him again like that. I just felt so disgusted with myself. Love really was only about fighting and heart break. I fluffed my only pillow which I never used because Daryl always held me tight, and let the tears soak into the material. I cried myself to sleep that night.

Daryl's POV

I left the tower instantly.  Like an abused puppy. Her words were so harsh and cruel. She couldn't have ment it, could she? I went to my old cell in the prison, I decided to let her cool off. Let myself cool off. All her points were valid. I did lie about getting him out of here for her. That really was my choice.  But the rest was all true.  It was Merle. My brother. He was there for me  when nobody else was n he deserved some credit. He couldn't be left alone in this world being how it is.  I did leave with him, even after what he did to Hailey.  I tried to not  over think.  I laid on the bunk that had grown cold and uncomfortable. I almost felt the urge to reach over and grab Hailey to embrace her. But there was only the prisons cement wall.  I fell asleep instantly, despite the loneliness.

"WAKE UP WAKE UP! GET UP NOW! Carl screamed at all of us. I got up fast and banged my head against the top bunk.

"Fuck" I said, one hand over my forehead where it hit while running out the same time everyone else did. Everybody else had a red mark across their forehead too, obviously we all had the same initial result. "The governor is outside with a tank he wants to talk with dad." I jumped into action and seen some of our members outside already,  guns cocked. I sighed of relief when I seen Hailey standing her guard in the courtyard, aiming furiously at the governor. Rick was standing in the outer field, conversating with 'Brian' I got out a gun and held it with the barrel supported by the fence. I stood next to Carl, protecting him.

"We want in these gates, Rick."

Rick paced back and forth.

"Don't make us take it from you. Cause we will." The governor said firmly.

"We have people here. We have sick people. They can't leave. We can't leave them." Rick replied.

The governor talked to one if the men and suddenly they removed Hershel and Michonne from a vehicle.

"Last warning, Grimes." He spoke loud.

"We can share the prison. There's lots of room, a whole cell Block.  It's never been touched.  We don't even have to talk." Rick demanded.

"Liar." The governor chopped Hershel's head with Michonne's blade. It seemed to happen in slow motion. Hershel's now emotionless head hit the ground several feet away from him. The governers lips formed a smile.