Chapter 43

Daryl's POV (yayyy)

I seen Carol rummaging through her stuff next to a started car.

"What are you doing?" I asked her. Pain suddenly struck in her eyes. Before she could answer a car drove by me. Beth. It was Beth. I'd only been with her a day before we got separated by come one with a red cross on the back of a car exactly like that one. I started smashing the lights of the car.

"What are you doing?! What are you-"

"C'mon get in." We both got in and I sped off after the car.

In the car I later explained to her what happened with beth, when we got separated at the church, then when I found Rick, Hailey... the others. That I'd seen them take beth in a car with that cross. We followed the car into the city, but when I tried starting the car it wouldn't.

"Aw, Shit. Tanks tapped." I spoke. "They'd have taken the bypass and they didn't. They must be holdin' up in the city."

About a dozen walkers started coming down the street.

"We gotta move, find someplace to hold up til' sunlight."

"I know a place. Just a couple of blocks from here. We can make it." She offered.

We made our way down the damp old alleys of Atlanta. I had to pry open the old back door of a building where we cleared the place. It didn't have any walkers in it. We entered an old office or something of other.

"Used ta work here or something?" I asked

"Or something."

Okay then. We moved the desk, closing off the door so walkers wouldn't get through for sure. She led me through another doorway and down a hall a little way. We enter a room with a bunk bed.

"What is this place?" I said whilst looking around.

"It's temporary housing." She spoke with no emotion in her voice. I seen a book on a table.

'Treating survivors of childhood abuse' was the title. Then it hit me. Her husband ed, back outside Atlanta. He was abusive wasn't he? Maybe that's why she is the way she is.

"You came here?" I asked softer

"Never stayed." She replied. I took off my heavy bow, and unnecessary things to hold. Along with my wife beater. That didn't nessisarily sound like a good way to put it in the current situation though. So, I took off my vest with angel wings.

"I'll take top bunk." She said, throwing things onto it. "I think that one a more your style." She said pointing to the pink one on the bottom. I chuckled at her, pft.

"You should sleep, I'll take first watch." She offered.

"This is locked up pretty tight." I stated.

"I know."

"Then we're good." I offered, she was just asking for work where it wasn't needed.

"I'll keep first watch, I don't mind." Her voice was soft, but this time she was demanding.

"Suit yourself" I said, falling into the bunk. I looked at her, and back around the room.

"You said we get to start over. Did you?" She asked me.

My thoughts went towards Hailey.
"I'm tryin'." I looked down and fiddled my thumbs. "Why don't you say what's really on your mind?" I asked.

"I don't think we get to save people anymore." She said blankly.

"Then why are you here?"

"I'm trying.." she repeated my words.

I threw my face in my palms, wiping and trying to clear my head. Carol came and sat beside me, and layed down with her feet still on the floor.