16: Okay

"So you were in the bathroom?" The detective asked.

"I heard them arguing. I didn't know what to do. Chloe had told me that Nathan had drugged her a month or so back, and I knew she thought he had something with Rachel Amber's disappearance. But, Nathan just, snapped." I explained. I took a sip of coffee. It was the day after Chloe was shot, and I had barely gotten any sleep nightmares had overtaken dreams of mine. I couldn't get Chloe out of my mind.

"Now, Ms. Caulfield, did you see Nathan shoot Ms. Price?" The detective asked.

"No, but, there was no one else in there." I said. I felt too tired to speak, but I know Chloe would want me to tell what happened. "I came out from behind the corner, and Chloe just slumped onto the floor. And Nathan dropped the gun..." I could barely speak the next words, they were lodged in my throat with tears. "And I knew... that Chloe, the love of my life... was gone."

The detective wrote down a few things, and I let a tear slide down my cheek. Chloe, oh Chloe, why did you have to die like this?

"Now, Ms. Caulfield, Mr. Prescott told us that you had his own gun on him, ready to shoot him?" The detective asked. "Is that true?"

"Yeah," I admitted. "I was enraged. I was ready to kill. My girlfriend had just been murdered right in front of me. I wanted revenge. I wanted Nathan to feel the fear that Chloe felt in her final minute." I took a deep breath. "David told me it wouldn't be what Chloe would have wanted. For me to go to jail. So, I gave David the gun."

The detective wrote down some stuff.

"That's all the questions I got for today Ms. Caulfield. I owe you my deepest condolences." The detective said.

He reached out to shake my hand, and I reluctantly shook it. He gave me a short nod and left the room with a bunch of folders.

I held the coffee in my hands. I couldn't get the image of Chloe's lifeless body out of my mind. The picture of her just laying on the ground, surrounded my her own blood. It was ruthless was Nathan did. I wish I never went into that Bathroom.

A lady came in saying that I was free to go and that was all the questioning that they had for today. I got up and walked out. I began to cry and I wiped the tears from my eyes. I refused to let anyone see me cry like this. Not now.

I hopped onto the next bus to Blackwell Academy. I got onto the bus, and I got glances and stares. I just ignored them and sat at the very back of the bus. I let tears fall down from my eyes. Chloe was dead. Nothing else seemed to matter anymore. I would give ANYTHING to have Chloe back. I would give my own life. But I know Chloe wouldn't want that. She would want me to stay strong, and keep on living.

The bus stopped at Blackwell School Grounds and I ran off the bus. As I walked to the grounds, I realized a huge number of police cars. What now?

I rushed to the crowd surrounding the main doors to Blackwell. I saw Kate and I grabbed her shoulder.

"Kate, what's going on?" I asked.

Kate faced me and she had tears in her eyes and she was clutching a cross necklace.

"It's Mr. Jefferson. He's been drugging girls in a darkroom bunker. Including..." Kate trailed off.

"Including who?" I asked. "Rachel Amber?" 

"Yes her, but... also, me." Kate confessed.

I felt as if a bomb had been dropped onto my world. First Chloe was killed, now I find out my photography teacher has been drugging students, including Rachel Amber, and even Kate Marsh. Poor innocent Kate Marsh.

Rage overcame me and I pushed my way through the crowd. I got to the front, some people letting me pass, some people I had to force my way through. When I reached the front I saw Mr. Jefferson being brought out in handcuffs.

"You MOTHERFUCKER!!!" I shouted. "You KILLED Rachel Amber and you DRUGGED Kate Marsh!!!"

My shouts were followed by gasps and cries of anger within the crowd.

"Miss, we're just going to need you to calm down!" A police officer told me.

"Calm down? He drugged my friend and KILLED my dead girlfriend's best friend!!!" I shouted.

"Ma'am, calm down or we're going to have to escort you away." The police officer said.

"C'mon Max, let's go." Kate said.

I walked away with Kate. She led me up to her room. She sat me down on her bed. I suddenly burst into tears and I couldn't stop crying.

"Max, it's okay." Kate said. "Chloe's in a better place. She's looking down on you. She doesn't want you to be sad."

"That's what you believe." I said, wiping away some tears. "Chloe's dead. She doesn't have thoughts. I don't know what she would want."

I clutched tight to Chloe's 3 bullet necklace. I didn't want to ever let go. It was the only thing I have of Chloe.

"Just have faith Max." Kate said. "It's what Chloe would want you to do if she was here. She's looking over you. Her and Rachel are probably having a party right now. You shouldn't be sad, or angry. Just give your grief time."

I was silent.

"Max, I was thinking about killing myself after a video of me while I was drugged was uploaded." Kate said.

I looked at Kate. I felt so shocked. Why would Kate want to do something like that?

"Oh Kate, you-" Kate interrupted me.

"But I didn't." Kate said. "When Chloe was killed, and then they asked me some questions last night, I knew that whoever drugged me, would get what they deserve."

I was silent. I had no words.

"And look! Jefferson is in jail, going to prison for drugging girls and taking photos of them!" Kate said. "Nathan's probably going to prison too for murdering Chloe, and for helping Jefferson..."

Kate wrapped an arm around me.

"We'll be okay." Kate said.

I sighed and nodded.

"We just might be." I said.