The Adventure

There is music playing through the apartment. I get up off the floor and my back pops in earnest. I groan and put on sweatpants, it's freakin cold! Colby is singing along with the song. It sounds familiar.

At this rate, I will be heading for electric chairs.

I'm only human with my cross to bear.

When she described her underwear

I forgot all the rules my rabbi taught me in the old schul.

I peek into Colby's room. "Colby ?" I whisper. He isn't there and his room is a mess already. He has clothes scattered about on the floor and his sleeping bag looks like he just threw it across the room.

You're too young to be this empty girl.

I'll prepare you for a sick, dark world!

Know that you will be my downfall

But I call and I call and I call.

The bathroom, which is between our rooms, has its light on and the door is half open. What is Colby doing in there? It can't be anything too. . . weird if the door is like that. Right? I know we are hormonal teenagers but he'd need more privacy than a half closed door to do his business. Right? I hear Colby's deep voice almost vibrate through the half open door.

I called her on the phone and she touched herself

She touched herself. She touched herself.

I called her on the phone and she touched herself

I laughed myself to sleep.

I open the door a bit more and Colby has aluminum foil in a strip of his hair. He only has his sweatpants on, like me, and he is dancing in the bathroom. Fist pumping, actually. He looks super tan in our white everything bathroom. "Colby what are you doing?" I say.

"I'm dying my hair blue." He says simply, he looks unfazed as I stare at the thing in his hair. "I walked to a convenience store two blocks over and bought a cheap hair dye kit. You were passed the fuck out. I thought I should let you sleep," he smiles and turns down the music. Is this dying thing hinting at a not straight sexuality? Why do I even care?

"Why did you dye it?" I ask curiously.

"I just feel like a new person here, maybe I need a change" he shrugs and looks in the mirror at himself.

"How long are you supposed to keep that thing in?" I ask, pointing to the foil.

"Uh, about 20 more minutes," he says, looking at the timer on his phone.

"Well let me go to the bathroom as you're waiting. I'm about to piss my pants," I warn him and he laughs. He tries to make room for me entering the bathroom and I go the same way, then we both go the same way again. The awkward is real.

"I'll just go to the right," Colby says and I'm finally alone in the bathroom. A weird smell hits me and I scrunch up my nose.

"Is it supposed to smell like that?" I ask, loud enough for him to hear me. I want to gag and die.

"Yeah it's got like, stuff in it. Don't breathe it in and pass out, dude!" his voice is higher than usual as he warns me to not breathe. He has the window open but the fan isn't on.

"Oh my god!" I facepalm. "Let's keep this door open and the fan on, okay?" I finish up and get out of the bathroom. We really need a spray or something. I'll steal some of Colby's Old Spice later.