Earth Kills

*Re-Edited*

Arin and I were walking to the place the other Grounder, whom I came to know as Ohso, put Jasper after Arin speared him. Anya had asked us to check the traps they put around him when we woke up. Arin was walking about fifteen paces ahead of me. Occasionally he would look behind him to make sure I was still following.

We found the place Jasper was supposed to be. It was a small clearing. The only problem was that he wasn't there.

"Maybe something got him." I said.

"Or someone." Arin replied. I looked at him, confused.

"What do you mean?"

"It's not very likely an animal could've gotten him without falling in a trap." Arin clarified.

I looked over the small opening. All but one of our traps were fine. I started to walk toward it but Arin grabbed my arm to stop me. He pulled me back to my starting place then started forward himself, leaving me behind.

He walked toward the trap that was destroyed slowly and cautiously, careful not to fall in one himself. When he reached it, he looked down into it, checking for anything that might've fallen in. I waited patiently.

Arin turned to me shaking his head, telling me there was nothing in there. He walked back to me with an annoyed expression .

"They must've went back for him." Arin told me.

"By them you mean the Sky People?" I asked. Why would they come back for him? There was no way he was going to survive.

"Of course. Who else?" Arin snapped. He started walking away, leaving me behind.

I waited a while before I started following. 'Give him break' I said to myself. We came all this way for nothing, it's normal to be a little annoyed.

Arin was once again walking ahead of me. He didn't bother checking on me this time.

As we were walking, a huge flock of birds flew over us loudly. Arin stopped in his tracks. I had an idea of what it was but I hoped I was wrong.

Arin and I stood still, not one of us daring to make a sound. That was when we heard it. The loud, smooth sound of a warning horn.

Arin ran back to me, grabbed my hand, and started running. I struggled to keep up. We jumped over fallen trees, small streams, even rocks.

My legs were burning but I didn't dare stop. We both knew what that horn meant. I've only heard that horn once when I was younger. One of my cousins died because of the fog. I sure as hell wasn't going to be next.

I didn't even know where we were going, but I trusted Arin.

Before I knew it, we were in a cave. Arin rushed both me and him to the far back. I watched as the fog quickly passed us. I didn't realize how close it was.

Everything was silent. Only our labored breaths filled the the cave. Arin slid down the wall we were leaning against and put his head between his legs. Breathing in through his nose and out his mouth, trying to calm his racing heart. I walked to the side of the cave and sat down. I inhaled deeply, then exhaled. I knew my legs were going to be slightly sore the next day.

"Are you alright?" Arin asked me. I turned my head towards him sharply. He looked at me with worry written on his face. I nodded my head and he closed his eyes and sighed, leaning his head against the cave wall.

I looked at him for a while. He's definitely changed since the night he comforted me after the death of my parents.

Sure, I've seen him around camp everyday since then, but we've never really spoken until just recently. He's gotten more muscular and has our clan tattoos cover his arms. I could see part of them on the skin by his wrists and another just below his collar bone, leading to his broad chest. Perhaps he even had some on his back.