the twelfth letter

❁ ❁ ❁

dear ethan,

i can't do this anymore, i really can't.

i can't sit here and pretend that you'll wake up soon, pretend that i'm okay. i can't sit here anymore and not cry.

it's too much, ethan. i can't be strong anymore; you were always the strong one, the one who thought crying was a foreign concept & never shed a tear at a single sad movie, not even the fault in our stars for christ's sake!

but i can't do that - i can't be like you.

i can't carry on each day as if there's not the possibility that i could come to your hospital room one afternoon after school to find your mom crying, and the doctor looking at her sympathetically. that i could come by one day to see you and you could just be gone.

it could happen, y'know? in the middle of the night when no one's awake you could just die, and that would be it. the end.

i'm sorry i can't stay strong for you, i wish i could. i hope you don't mind me crying all over your hospital gown. you would've thought it was ugly anyways...

i'll keep trying ethan, for you and for your family.

but don't take this as an invitation to take forever waking up, alright? i still miss you.

love from your best friend,

chloe. xx

❁ ❁ ❁