Chapter 30

No-one was sure if Ryan had misunderstood what the surgeon had said, or whether he was simply just trying to block it out. They were all gathered in the corridor as he sat in the room with Lily.

"How do you think he's doing?" Natalie asked as she lifted her head from Eddie's shoulder.

"He's lost his whole world, I can't imagine he is doing very well" Eddie shrugged as he wrapped his arm around Natalie's shoulders.

"I can't even begin to imagine how he's feeling right now, having everything ripped away from him like this" Anna looked up at Drew "Have you spoken to him?"

It'd been a good few hours since Ryan received the devastating blow, Violet had been called urgently back to Gemma as she faced complications in her labour. Natalie was sat with Eddie, Anna with Drew and Zach was stood outside the door with Brent. They watched as Ryan spoke to Lily "This is going to completely destroy him" Brent exhaled.

"I know" Zach replied almost in a whisper. Ryan's heart was breaking and all he could do was watch.

××

Lily was so still, it was almost unnatural. Ryan hadn't let go of Lily's hand since he sat beside her. She was still warm, which was a comfort to him.

"I don't know where you are or why, but I really need you to come back" Ryan wiped the tear's from his eyes, catching them quickly before they rolled down his cheeks "We have a son Lil, a beautiful little boy and I don't know what to call him. We said we would talk about that after he was born, so you need to wake up because he needs a name..." Ryan lifted Lily's hand in his and kissed it gently "And I need you, we both need you Lily. This can't be it, this can't be it. Please Lil, I'm begging you if you have any fight left inside you then please baby, please fight...because I need you to come back to me"

××

Anna was surprised to see Violet walking towards them she had a tear stained face "Vi what is it what's happened?" Anna asked and Violet inhaled deeply.

"Gemma and David's baby, he was still born" Violet managed, Anna pulled her into a tight hug.

"Oh Vi" Anna gasped she couldn't believe this was happening "I'm so sorry, how's Gemma? Is david with her?"

"Yeah he arrived just in time" Violet moved backward and wiped her eyes on a tissue "I haven't even told her about Lily yet, I don't have the words...how's Ryan?"

"Not good, he's been in there with her for hours. The doctor has encouraged him to contact her family" Zach informed Violet of the details "He won't accept the fact she's not coming back"

"And why should he, she's his wife" Violet didn't mean to snap at Zach "He loves her"

"Yeah but he needs..." Anna tried and Violet gave her a death glare.

"To do what, accept the news that his 30 year old wife, mother of his newborn son is dying..." Drew was shocked by Violet's outburst "What he needs os to know He needs to know he isn't the only one who isn't ready to lose her"

××

"Wise men say, only fools rush in...but I can't help falling in love with you..." Ryan looked up and sniffed as Violet sat down beside him "it was her favourite song, we were going to dance to it on our wedding day"

"She loved to hear you sing" Violet took Ryan's hand in hers "Anna said you won't contact our family?"

"No I don't believe she is ready to give up yet Violet. I'm sorry if that offends you or upsets you but right now I don't care the only thing I care about is her..." Violet's expression changed to a gentle smile.