Chapter 20: Hiding

Everyone in the room turns to look at me. I don’t want to hear what they have to say; I don’t think I can handle their sympathy. I turn and run out of the room, and out the door.

            I run down the street to Seeder’s house, then realise how stupid that is. Seeder has gone earlier today. There is no one else that I felt as comfortable to be with, with possibly one exception.

            Plough. He hadn’t been in the Games so he won’t understand what it will be like the way Seeder would, but his cousin was there so he understands what going back can mean. We haven’t got to see each other very often since I have come home, as he is almost always working in the fields.

            I had originally decided that I was going to keep working in the fields. Soon I discovered this wouldn’t work: I had too many “duties” as a victor. It was especially busy for the first few months, with interviews, autographs, and the Victory Tour, but it was a little better now. Even so, I was told by a peacekeeper that it isn’t really in the spirits of a victor to work in the fields. So I don’t; I don’t want to make the Capitol angry, as I have seen what they can do. I sometimes give Plough food though, if I see him.

I know where he lives, so I run through the streets until I get to his house. Everyone had the day off work, of course, as they were all supposed to watch the reaping.

I knock on the door. Plough answers it and ushers me into the front room quickly, checking to see that no one saw him let me in. He understands my panic to some extent. He pushes me into the room at the back of their house, which serves as both a kitchen and a living room. There is only one tiny window half way up the wall, so it isn’t likely that we’ll be seen there. His parents are sitting on folding chairs, and they look up to see me. I am pretty sure his parents wouldn’t have approved of approved of me had we been friends last year. As a victor, however, they are very polite to me. I can’t tell if this is because victors are supposedly respectable, or if it’s because they are scared I’ll kill them if they are rude. We’ve already established that I can’t kill anyone, for goodness sake.

“Would you like something to drink, Rue?” his mother asks.

I am about to say no, but then I realise how thirsty I am and how heavily I’m breathing, both from fear and exhaustion.

“Water, please,” I manage to gasp.

There are only three little, wooden chairs in their house, as they rarely get visitors. Plough lets me sit in the chair that he normally sits in. His mother hands me a cup and I drink the water gratefully.

When I am finished, Plough starts talking to me.

“What are you going to do next?” he asks.

I hadn’t really thought about it. I just knew that I would be found easily at home.

“I was sort of hoping-” I stop, realising how much it would be to ask to stay with them. It would be a great risk to them, furthermore they have no room.

But I have nowhere else to go.