ten

L u k e

I walked beside Michael as he led me up a hill. We had parked at the bottom, and the "special place" was right at the top.

"Okay. Close your eyes." He whispered, and held out his hand.

"Michael- I- I don't know abou-"

"Trust me, Luke." He said, and grabbed my hand. I closed my eyes, but kept my feet steady on the ground, and didn't move too quick.

I felt him release my hand, and wrap his arms around my waist, laying his head on my shoulder.

"Open." He whispered, so I opened my eyes quickly.

I looked out and saw stars appearing in the sky. I saw the sun going down, and lines of traffic moving fairly quickly below the cliff we were standing on.

"This is beautiful." I whispered, and he hugged my waist tighter.

We sat down, and I looked down at his hand deciding if I should hold it or not. I want to hold his hand so bad.

I didn't realize I was thinking about it while we sat in a comfortable silence for about ten minutes.

"Thank you so much for bringing me here." I said, and looked over at him. I saw he had a sketch book sitting in his lap, and he was sketching the scenery. I smiled, and scooted closer to him. Watching him draw is so interesting. He's amazing.

I placed my hand on top of his free hand, and he glanced down at it. "What are you doing?" He asked as I tangled our fingers together.

"I wanna hold your hand." I said quietly, and laid my head on his shoulder. He shook me off of his shoulder, and grabbed his hand away.

I felt heat rising to my cheeks as he did that. He didn't want that like I did. He doesn't like me like that. Now I just look stupid.

That was embarrassing, and honestly I'd rather be in my apartment by myself, reading a book with the tv on just so it would fill the silence.

This is probably gonna be one of the moments I look back to three years down the road and still feel embarrassed.

I picked at my nails and listened to the faint sound of car horns for ten more minutes.

I didn't wanna ask Michael to take me home. I didn't wanna sound unappreciative and rude, but I was not having a good time after that.

"What are you drawing?" I asked, even though I already knew. I just wanted to fill the silence between us.

"What does it look like?" He asked sarcastically.

"Tell me about it. Like what sketching techniques do you use? I like the way you e-"

"Luke, shut up." He whispered, and didn't even look at me.

"I just wanna talk." I said softly.

"Well I don't." He snapped.

"Michael, I understand that you have anger issues, and sometimes you can't help it, but I can't let you keep treating me this way." I said softly, and he rolled his eyes.

"Oh. Sorry I'm not spoiling you. Sorry for not giving every ounce of my time to you. Sorry you're not the center of my attention." He said through his gritted teeth.

"I just wanted to talk to you, Michael. Was I really asking for that much? I just want one nice time with you where you don't make me cry, but that hasn't happened yet, and I don't think it's gonna." I said, tears already pooling in my eyes.

"Just shut up!" He yelled, and since I was right beside him, it was right in my ear. I jumped away from him, and nervously played with my fingers.

"Don't yell. I'm scared." I whispered. I can't stand yelling one bit. It makes me want to rip my hair out when people yell at each other.

"Good!" He yelled, so I stood up quickly, walking away from him, and past his car.

I didn't even want him to drive me home. I just want to get away.

I ran into a part of the woods, but I could still see how to get out.

My breathing was unsteady, and tears blurred my vision. I've always had a problem with yelling. Ever since I was born my parents would yell at each other, and then yell at me if I asked for help on homework, or asked for something to eat. All they did was yell.