twenty three

"Hey Luke.." Michael said softly as he walked into the library.

Luke turned around from where he was shelving books, and looked back at Michael.

"Wha- what are you doing here?" Luke asked, hating himself for not putting on makeup and something other than a sweater and leggings.

Michael was the last person he expected to walk through the door. He thought Michael moved on and really never thought of Luke as anything to him.

"Hey.." Michael said, and stepped a little closer.

Luke scratched the back of his neck and looked down. Michael knew to stop. He knew Luke was nervous.

"I just wanted to come give you this.." Michael said and handed Luke a flyer. "...I'm finally opening my art studio, and I really want you to be there tonight."

"Um, I have a lot of stuff I really need to get done, but I'll stop by for a few minutes m-maybe," Luke said softly.

"Okay. Yeah. I totally understand if you can't make it. It's no big deal.." Michael laughed, but that was a lie. The callouses and blisters on his hands could tell you that it is a big deal to him.

"Okay." Luke said, and looked back down at the ground.

Michael lightly smiled and started to walk out of the library.

Before he got out of the door, he turned and saw Luke still looking at the ground.

"Hey, keep your head up." He said, so Luke glanced up, lightly smiling.

Once Luke looked at him, he knew he messed up. He couldn't get the blue in his eyes just right.