Chapter 1

2 Years Ago- Sophomore Year

"Cole," I call out, standing up from where I've been sitting on the front steps. He doesn't even look in my direction as he gets out of his truck and slams the door. "Cole stop." I say, moving out into the yard as he begins to walk towards his house.

"COLE!" I practically scream, running over and grabbing his arm "Leave me alone Dylan." He yells, jerking his arm free of my grip, "I don't want to talk to you." I take a step back, feeling tears sting my eyes. "Yeah, I got that much from the fact that you've ignored me for the past week."

He gives me an exasperated look, "Gosh, are you really crying? Grow up Dylan." I look up at him, "What is your problem?" I ask, hurt and anger rising inside me.

"You," He spits, "You are my problem. Just make both of our lives easier and leave me alone." His words feel like a punch to the gut, I take another step away. "I can't believe you just said that." I whisper, tears spilling out of my eyes and gliding down my cheeks.

"Just... leave me alone Dylan." He says after a moment, taking a step away from me. I shake my head, "It's like I don't even know you anymore." I say, still whispering.

He just looks at me, "Well, maybe there's a reason for that." Anger floods through me again and I look up at him, still crying. "You are such an ass Cole Hartford." I spit out with as much venom as I can fathom, I can't believe he's saying these things to me. We've drifted apart in the past year, yes, but this... this is completely out of character.

"Well, you're not so great yourself Dylan Matthews, sometimes you can be a real bitch." I suck in a breath and take another big step away from him, "I... I don't know what to say." He shakes his head at me, "How about you just go." He mutters, "I think I've made myself clear, this friendship is over."

I stare at him for a moment then, with fire in my eyes, I shake my head, "Don't bother trying to apologize for this Cole, thanks for being my best friend." I throw as much sarcasm as I can muster into my voice, "You can just kiss the past 12 years goodbye. I'm so done."

I turn quickly and practically sprint back into the house. I make it up to my room, slamming the door closed and sinking down against it. I bring my knees up to my chest and let the tears fall, working my way up to full out sobbing.

I've never felt this hurt in my entire life, Cole was my best friend and for him to say those things, to just cut me out of his life... I can hardly believe it... I don't want to believe it. I finger the necklace around my neck before reaching up and undoing the clasp. I look at the key for a long moment before hurling it across the room as hard as I can.

I hear it land on the opposite side of the room and the sound brings on a new wave of tears. I bury my head against my knees and let the sobs wrack my body. 12 years down the drain... what am I going to do?