Chapter 35

"Dylan, please just let me in." Kyle's voice calls from the other side of the bathroom door. I sniffle and shake my head even though he can't see me. He knocks on it again, "Please Dyl, just open the door and we can work this out."

God, if only he knew the mess he was going to 'work out.' No, I wasn't opening that door, I needed to be alone for a little while longer. Something he can't seem to understand as he pounds on the door again.

"Dylan." He says and then I hear something thump low against the door and I know that he sat down on the other side. "I'll be out here when you're ready." He says, defeat lacing his voice.

I lean back against the door, fresh tears streaming down my face. I can't believe what just happened, I can't believe I just destroyed my relationship like that. I wrap my arms tightly around my torso, afraid that if I don't hold myself together I'll fall completely apart.

We sit there for a long time, me on one side of the door, Kyle on the other. One crying and the other contemplating. Both trying to figure out what went wrong. One trying to figure out why she did what she did. The other trying to figure out how he could fix it. Neither getting very far.

Eventually I reach up and undo the lock, slowly opening the door. Kyle falls in backwards and lands at my feet, staring up at me from the floor. He doesn't say anything, instead pushing himself into a sitting position and scooting closer to me.

He reaches out and pulls me to him, holding me against his chest and stroking my hair. "Dylan," He whispers and I feel a new wave of tears flood from my eyes. "It's going to be okay."

I shake my head, "No, it's not. It's not going to be okay. I lost him Kyle... I lost him and I don't think I'm going to be able to fix it." He shakes his head, "That can't be true, you're Dylan and Cole. You'll work it out, you always do."

I close my eyes, feeling the tears slip from beneath them. "No, Kyle it was so bad. I don't think... we're not Dylan and Cole... not anymore. I was awful, I ruined it and now there's no going back. We're not Dylan and Cole... I'm just Dylan and he's just Cole."