Chapter 22

A/N: This is a very NC-17 chapter, because they deserved it ;) so please read at your own mature discretion. I really enjoyed writing this one, for multiple reasons, and I hope you enjoy all of the little surprises within! Thank you for reading, voting, and commenting! Xo

***

My birthday was a few weeks later, at the end of September. Jamie tried to arrange something special by suggesting he'd pay for my sister and closest friends to come to New York for a girl's weekend, but I asked if I could call the shots instead. Since he agreed it was ultimately my day, he let me take over. Little did he know, what I had planned was actually for him.

I chuckled when he kicked open the bedroom door carrying a tray of bacon, sausages, eggs, tomatoes, toast, and a cup of coffee.

"Breakfast in bed for the beautiful birthday girl."

"You're the sweetest." I smiled against the kiss he leaned down to leave on my lips.

"It's just the beginning of a special day," he replied, sitting at the foot of the bed.

"I thought we agreed I was in charge?"

He laughed. "You're the boss, but that doesn't mean I didn't get you any presents."

"Presents, as in the plural word for present?"

His vibrant smile managed to widen. "Yes, more than one gift for my girl."

My heart fluttered in my chest. What could he have planned? I felt the sting of excitement overwhelm me. We had met a few days after his birthday, so this was the first unofficial holiday we were going to celebrate together. I looked forward to the many firsts we had yet to experience. Our future gave me an immeasurable amount of hope and anticipation.

I stuffed a piece of bacon in my mouth unsure of how to start the day I had in mind. The food was a great way to get it going, though. He knew me well.

"You're a good cook," I mumbled with a mouthful.

"Thanks. My sisters taught me."

"Aww, that's adorable!"

His expression turned somber. "Yeah, after my mum passed, they had to cook our family dinners because my dad never learned how. I felt guilty watching them do all the work, so they tossed me in the mix and taught me some essential things. Like the proper components of a full Irish breakfast." He motioned toward the food in my lap.

"The tomatoes definitely threw me off," I joked to lighten his mood. It worked.

"You're lucky I didn't have mushrooms, beans, and soda bread. We'll call this the New York version of a traditional."

I laughed. "It's the thought that counts, and very kind of you. The shared memory also means a lot."