And For Dessert, An Argument

Scott came over for dinner and he looked handsome. A black button down shirt and a pair of dark jeans. He held flowers in one hand and a tray covered in tinfoil in the other.

"Hey beautiful."

I kiss him quickly before saying "Hey handsome."

My mom walks over and says "Scott, we never officially met. I'm Victoria Argent."

"Pleasure to meet you Mrs. Argent. Thank you for having me tonight."

"Oh don't thank us yet, we haven't interrogated you yet."

I turned to Scott, nervous on how he would react to my mother's comment, but he just chuckled. All the worry just melted out of me. Scott held out the flowers to me and I smiled as I took them into my hands.

"I hope you don't mind Mrs. Argent, but I brought over a dessert. My mom and I always make this chocolate cake  once a month and we made it this morning so I thought you might enjoy some of it so I brought it."

My mom shakes her head and says "I don't mind at all. I'm sure it'll be delicious. Dinner is almost ready. Until then, why don't you go take a seat in the living room?"

Scott nods and says "Of course. Unless you'd like some help in the kitchen."

"You cook," mom asks with a raised eyebrow. "Not many boys do."

"My mother taught me. She works long hours as a nurse so I'll make her dinner on the nights she's off. She needs time to rest."

"That's very considerate of you." She then shakes her head. "I'm fine on my own. It was nice of you to offer."

Scott shakes his head and says "My pleasure."

Mom walks away and I put the flowers in a vase on the side table. I turn back to Scott and smile sweetly before wrapping my arms around his neck.

"You might actually make it out of here alive."

Scott smiles and kisses me softly. I felt so light, almost as if I could fly. He pulled away and rested his forehead against mine.

"My mom says "hi". You were such a big hit with her. She was raving about you all morning."

"Really," I asked and he nodded quickly. "I'm so glad. I know how close you and your mom are. I didn't want her to hate me and then us break up."

Scott brushes his nose against mine and says "Even if she didn't like you right away, I wouldn't have broken up with you. She'd learn to love you, but that's not a problem. She loves you just as much as I do."

"Oh really and how much is that," I ask playfully.

"So much that the universe looks like a grain of sand compared to how much I love you."

I kiss him but pull away when I hear someone clear their throat. I see Aunt Kate standing at the bottom of the staircase watching us.

"You must be the famous Aunt Kate," Scott said sticking his hand out to her. "I've heard so much about you."

Aunt Kate smiles at his hand and takes it gently. "Like wise. I've heard my fair share of stories about you." She leans forward and turns to me. "Adorable brown eyes. Nice choice Allison."

I felt the blush building and Kate grabs Scott's shoulders and starts leading him to the living room. Dad sat on the couch and stands when he sees Scott.

"Scott," he said shaking his hand.

Scott smiles sweetly and says "Mr. Argent, thank you for having me over."